Saturday, April 14

Twilight - Karen Buxton

Okay, so I may have been the first person to finish the book ( I just
couldn't put it down, and we were on Spring Break, so I didn't have
to.), but I'm the last person to post. Like most of you, I LOVED
IT! As soon as I finished it, I got in the car and went to buy New
Moon. I've read everything that there is to read on S.M.'s website,
and fantisized about how much fun it would be to go to the
Twightlight Prom. My husband has even read the books because I read
outloud to him in the car while were were traveling. I haven't been
so engrossed in a book since the last Harry Potter book came out.
Anyway, enough about how much I loved the books.

I believe that the reason that the love story is so appealing is
because it reminds us of what new love feels like. It was fun to be
a teenager again even though I was annoyed at times by how stupid
Bella can be. I too fell in love with Edward. He's so noble and
patient.

I too, have spent time wondering if becoming a vampire would be too
great a sacrifice. Living on the earth forever is appealing in
someways, and not so appealing in other ways. I can understand her
wanting to be with him forever, and not wanting to grow old while he
stayed young, but always looking so young would have it's
disadvantages also. Edward had two doctorate degrees, but no way to
do anything with them.

As for him being in her room watching her sleep...I couldn't help but
wonder if he was ever turned off by her morning breath, and the sleep
in her eyes.

I really don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said.
Thanks for the great selection! I can't wait until August. I'll
have to re-read the first two in July in preparation.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Post from Laurenda -

For some reason, your post didn't make it to the Les Liseuses blog site. Hmmmm. Weird. But anyway, I want to respond because I wanted to say "YES!" to everything you had written! After reading "Twilight" and "New Moon", I also felt just like I had when I started reading Harry Potter--being drawn in and couldn't put it down and reading the books so fast to get the story in that it was like...crazy...and then going to SM's website and reading everything, so I could really appreciate that! Also, I think you are right on about the appeal of the books. True love and NEW love. I can look back on all of my crushes and infatuations and finally true love, and I do recognize my own emotions in Bella's and Edward's, and now that some time has passed from my initial reading of Twilight, I can identify the DUMB things that I, too, did in the name of "love." Thus, perhaps I was a bit harsh on Bella; ...but seriously, women should not be walking around the warehouse district of towns they don't know with their heads down!!!! Yegads! Or out walking in the woods when they have been told that there are dangerous elements out there--or known Vampires!!!! Or...well, you get the picture. That being said, I'm also a big chicken and probably wouldn't be keen on walking in the woods in the first place, so please take that with a grain of salt. :)

All that being said...Great review.

:) Laurenda

Gina said...

Great review! You must of found out about Edward's education in New Moon... I have yet to get into the thick of that book. I can't wait to finish it!

Katie said...

Comment from Karen Buxton -

Actually, I found out about Edwards education by reading "Midnight Sun"
which is the first chapter of Twilight with Edward narrating. I highly
recommend reading it. It's only 20 pages. I could see, more
prevelently, some mormon doctrine coming through in his version.
Interesting. Thanks everyone for your comments and insights. That's
what makes a book club fun...Other people helping you to see the same
things in a different light.