Friday, April 6

Twilight Thoughts

I too love this book and I read New Moon as soon as I finished Twilight. I hate starting a series before it is finished. I am so impatient waiting for the next book! Hopefully August will come quickly. :)

First of all- I moved to the Seattle Area from sunny California in the middle of high school. Unlike Bella though I did not find Seattle depressing and dark. It actually rains more in the Midwest than it does in Seattle. I was a little offended by her negative Northwest comments but I got over that quickly. :) I love the characterizations in this book. Bella is great. She is so passionate and focused and dramatic and drawn to the dangerous. Totally 17. I get a little annoyed - like Laurenda- that she doesn't understand the thirst or that when Edward talks about making mistakes he is talking about people dying. It is more evident in New Moon that she just doesn't really get what it means to be a Vampire for all of her desire to be one. She sees Edward and his family and how powerful they are and how beautiful they are and wants that but doesn't understand the price that Power and Beauty comes at. I love her insecurities about how she looks. Stephanie M. doesn't overdo them they are just right. Bella just kind of takes for granted that she is not as beautiful (although it is pointed out in the book that she is much more beautiful than she realizes). My favorite description of Edward is in the meadow when he tells her that he is the perfect predator. He is attractive(bait) and fast and deadly. I wondered at his intentions with her in the meadow. It seems amazing to me that someone with one hundred years to mature would fall in love with a 17 yr old- even one as self-less as Bella. BUt now he has saved her too many times. I think he is noble and genuine but still deadly. I want them to have a happy ending but I'm not sure how - since becoming a vampire is not the best idea for Bella. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I love love love the way that Alice sees the future. I love that it changes from decision to decision rather than staying firm. It's perfect. It is so true to life that our outcome relies on the decisions that we make- sometimes seemingly inconsequential decisions can change our whole future because of the chain of little decisions that result.

On a funny note, I thought it interesting that when first describing the Cullens Stephanie M. describes the dark circles under their eyes and then continues to describe how unhumanly beautiful they are. I think it gives hope to all moms or students with no sleep that you can be unhumanly beautiful and have dark circles under your eyes. :)

I wonder how much if anything should be read into the dark skinned hot Indian/werewolf vs. pale white cold refined/vampire. It is set up to be good vs evil but she twists it so that there is no good side or bad side. It is unclear still who is the monster- if anyone. Everyone has the capability to be a monster or to control the monster. Bella is a monster to her Dad when she throws her Mom's words back in his face. She chose to let the monster out for his protection. The men on the street in Port Angeles who almost attack Bella are monsters and just as dangerous to Bella as Edward. Edward chose to unleash his monster for a while in his youth but only on Human Monsters. Which begs the question of is there a place and time when it is appropriate to act monstrously? Or is it just a slippery slope? It seems that over and over again when the characters act monstrously they just create more problems and more hard questions for themselves. Edward stopped being a monster because he wasn't sure if he was avting any better than the people he killed. He wasn't sure if his victim's intended victim would look on him as a savior or as an equal threat. Bella keeps trying to sacrifice herself to take away the danger and causing more danger. I can't wait until the third book to see the direction that Stephanie takes it. I love that I can't predict it.

I love the flow of this book, the passionate force behind it and the characterizations. Even her two-dimensional characters- like Jessica and Mike- are interesting. Well, Bella's interactions with them are interesting which makes them interesting. This is my kind of fateful romance.

5 comments:

Miss L said...

Hahhahah! I love the dark circle thing. I hadn't thought about it before, but indeed, it gives me hope (especially coming off a several-day-jag of baby interrupted sleep).

Great review.

:) Laurenda

Gina said...

Great review, D! Lots of thoughts that I wished I'd addressed in my post.

Your view about Bella wanting to be a vampire and how naive she is to want that... I didn't agree. I see her as a 17 year old madly in love. She is blinded by love so much so that she can't even fatham what she would be giving up to become a vampire. I am on her side on that one. If I was THAT in love, I would want to be a vampire too... to insure I'd be immortal along with the man I love... and for more than just kissing. ;)

The eye bag bit cracked me up. I didn't even notice that detail. Well done!

Miss L said...

I was trying to get my husband to give his opinion on doing things out of love vs doing things naively and he basically would have none of it. lol.

Edward seems to really think things through (time has no meaning when you are immortal, I guess) and wants Bella to do the same. Bella is ready and willing to do something that seems rash to him (he is, after all, over 100 years old even if his body reflects differently). So, I still see why he doesn't want her rushing into being a vampire, even though he loves her and doesn't want to be in a world without her, either.

I totally understand, too, why Bella would not want to be older looking than her beloved (I, myself, am 3 years older than my husband and dated several guys who were younger (as much as 9 years younger) than me)...a 50 year old hanging out with a 17 year old would indeed seem wrong, so I can see where Bella would be freaked out. Too bad Edward wasn't in his 20's, because then it wouldn't matter so much (Demi/Ashton, etc.).

This does, in a way, reflect our society's issues with an older woman dating a younger man, though it's more acceptable for an older man to date a younger woman. I think it also reflects a 17 yr olds view that it would be gross, either way. lol.

This just in: my husband did weigh in on the fact that Edward really is 100-ish and is dating a 17 year old. He said, "That's reason alone not to date a vampire." hahahah.

D said...

yay for discussion! Gina, you are so great at getting people chatting! I love it!

I loved Bella's insecurities about aging while Edward stayed the same. Also about being lacking that vampire beauty glow. Stephanie M. has built an exceptional character that is very human.

I do think it is a case of Bella needing to listen more closely to her "elders" with more experience. It is totally in character for her not to listen though. I hope Rosalie weighs in on the argument in the third book. Edward has said that she is jealous of Bella's being human and wouldn't wish being a vampire on anyone. It would be interesting to hear her tell more of her story as to why.

I understand wanting eternity with your soul mate immediately too. My husband and I dated for 4 months and were engaged for 4 months before we got married for eternity. I wouldn't change a thing so maybe Bella won't regret her decision. I just want her to see the whole picture a little more fully before she makes her final decision. You'll see a moment in New Moon where she wonders why another human would want to be a Vampire. It is that moment that made me realize (and Edward too from the way he paused) just how deep her blindness to the reality of Vampireness(vampirosity? ) :) goes. She doesn't connect those vampires with the Cullens at all. It was a very ironic moment in the book but it was lost on Bella.

Gina said...

Makes me excited to read on in New Moon.

You are right, there is a deep blindness she has to the vampire world. She is so taken by each new thing she learns... most of what she learns is usually so amazing and positive that she can't help but be allured by it. I guess that is the vampire way though... they have to be attractive to their prey as Alice described in the first book. I loved her analogy to the Venus Fly Trap, etc. Made so much sense as they are beautiful predators.