Wednesday, April 4

Twilight: Completely obsessed now...sigh.

Well, it's just been about forever since I posted. Please accept my apologies.

Okay, that being said, I just have to say I really really really enjoyed Stephenie Meyer's Twilight! (and yes, I finished New Moon, too, but I'm re-reading Twilight even now because I zipped right through it the first time--much like the Harry Potter books!). And can I just say, I'm so glad we are "talking" about it because no one else around here has read them. Let me amend that: Both Twilight (currently #6 in paperback) and New Moon (currently #1 chapter book) are on the NYTimes Best Seller list for "Children's Books". When I called my local bookstore to try to get a copy, he asked me if I was doing it for school! I guess it's on a reading list for several schools in the area. So, I should say that my local peers have not read it, though it is, after all, an ALA Reluctant Reader book as well. Now I see why!!!! Regardless, I finally found a copy at a bookstore in a mall...it was their last one. I had a sense that it would be good simply because I couldn't get my hands on a copy (and they were all out at the libraries I looked into!)!

ANYWAY. You should know this about me: the topic of vampires has FREAKED me out since I was 5 when, for whatever reason, I was up past beditme and caught a tidbit about vampires in the movies (this should be a huge lesson to me on what I let my girls see when I've got the tv on to some random thing). Suffice to say, my childhood was spent with me sleeping with the covers UP TO MY CHIN and my blankets in a type of cocoon around me (as if a monster couldn't just rip them right off...but I digress). Many a night I was awakened by the desperate need to use the bathroom, but I wouldn't get out of bed for fear that some loathesome creature would get me if I left my cocoon before the sun shone. Ugh. It's true. So with that in mind...

You should also know that this has not kept me from being strangely drawn to this topic. I, too, was an avid Buffy/Angel viewer. However, I never read any of Anne Rice's stuff because of the topic. So when I saw all the connections, I was like, Yeeks! But I was having a bad day and I was already so far behind with book club, I just took the plunge back in. And I'm so glad, because I really liked both books, even though they are what I would call, "Pee Your Pants Good." What I mean by this is that they were so good that I a) couldn't put them down and b) had some of that childhood fear tapped into and so found myself getting up to nurse my baby in the middle of the night walking to her room with a little faster step in the darkened hallways. Ridiculous, I know. But true. (New Moon is scarier to me, though).

The book has been likened to Romeo and Juliette, and I do appreciate that romance and suspense (in fact, LOVED it...favorite scene was when they were in the field...and I liked the baseball stuff before the visitors arrived, then I got freaked out!!!!!!). But I have to admit, I do have *some* problems. For instance, Bella always seems to need rescuing, bless her beating heart. AND, she does dumb stuff (granted, it gets the plot moving and gives a reason to rescue her, but still!) DUMB DUMB DUMB stuff--like walking alone/not paying attention to her surroundings with the warehouse scene, going by herself to face James, cliff diving (in New Moon) to name a few. I know in Fablehaven, I too was annoyed when young Seth kept disobeying...wasn't Bella doing the same thing in a way? But like I said, it did add to the romance part of "The Damsel in Distress" and I appreciated her desire to keep those she loved "safe"...but still. Also, I thought it was very convenient of Charlie to be so...distantly busy with sports and fishing.

BUT, here's my biggest bugaboo, which I'm sure will be touched upon at some point: Bella's desire to become a vampire. I TOTALLY see where she is going with this (because she LURVES him!!!! She doesn't want to appear old without him. He is her world and visa versa and yadayadayada), but I'm with Edward. I don't think she should be so hasty--at all. What makes her think that she would be a vampire with the same determination as the Cullens to be a "vegetarian"? Why would she not choose to be more like Laurent, James and Victoria? Nature vs Nurture? Hmmmm. I read the first chapter of "Midnight Sun" which is Twilight from Edwards perspective and it shows how much Edward really struggles with his vampire nature (totally a must-read if you haven't already). I don't think Bella appreciates this. Her idea to just "be changed" is rather symbolic. Like anything where the "grass is always greener", we don't fully comprehend the consequences, good and bad, until we sometimes force the issue.

Loved the writing throughout--each character had a voice and a personality that you wanted to get to know better (well, maybe not everyone, but you know what I mean). I really liked the names she picked, too. LOVED the names Esme and Carlisle, have to say. And Edward. I was really on the edge of my seat and even rereading it now, I'm still so pleased with the pacing of Twilight (New Moon is a bit more sluggish, but I didn't really care). I have to say, if you haven't already been to her website, she's a very generous author there as well. She has "outtakes" from Twilight (like where Edward sees her for the first time when they are going to Prom) that may make your inner romantic and fan "sqee!" with delight. :)

Thanks again for suggesting the book. August seems far far away. At least we have Harry in July. :)

12 comments:

Gina said...

Excellent review. Funny, I wasn't spooked with this book. I guess it's all so far fetched for me that I don't get scared like I once did. I wonder how I'll do with New Moon though.

Miss L said...

I know! It's totally ridiculous, because I know it's FAKE and FICTION but it also shows how deep that goofy childhood fear was (...is? lol). I think Stephenie Meyer gets alot of credit, because the tension and suspense she created didn't help with any anxiousness that I was alredy experiencing. So fun. It's like riding a rollercoaster for me. I know it's going to make me sick to my stomach, but it's thrilling and an experience non-the-less.

On a completely different note, your other blog sites are so fun Gina!!!!! I love the one you did for Liam and wish I'd done one for my girls, too! As Katie would say, "You Rock!" :)

Katie said...

Laurenda, you are hilarious!!

Bella's bullheaded desire to become a vampire irritates me, too. While I can understand - well, imagine - her fear of becoming old while Edward is eternally young, I don't think she understands all the ramifications. I wonder if this is "symbolic" of other teenage desires - maybe sex? Teenagers think they're ready and that it's what they want, but they don't understand the long lasting consequences.

D said...

Every time I read back through your post I find myself thinking- I thought that too!

I think her desire to be "perfected" so easily is very symbolic of other teenage and/or human desires. The Vampires seemingly have it all sex appeal, beauty, grace(only in the physical sense), power, skill, smarts, youth, immortality... But as Edward says too they are selfish predators who prey on Humans. Hmmm... Maybe they are pretty human after all. Just Superhuman.

Gina said...

Call me immature, but I totally GET where Bella is coming from in wanting to become a vampire. I would totally want the same thing she does... To be immortal with the one I love. I can relate to her being mad that she turned 18 and still hadn't gotten her wish. I too would want to share the same age with my vampire Romeo... and stay looking that youthful forever. At some point it's going to be weird that she is 50 years old and hanging out, holding hands with a 17 year old. Maybe my wish for Bella will come true in the third book.

Now you are totally annoyed with me, right?

Miss L said...

Yay! A discussion!!!

I love that you are taking up for Bella, Gina. You are right...at 17, when you are pretty fearless about the future anyway, you don't always see the consequences. Also, I understand that Bella and Edward are supposed to be soul mates (the Lion in love with the Lamb). This I get. I also get that you are willing to take risk in the name of love (I planned a wedding and got married in less than two months, so I can appreciate the desire to be with the one you love).

This doesn't change the fact that Bella is only focused on the "Cullen"-ess of being a vampire. She only sees the beauty and talent, etc., of these good vampires, as Danielle points out. Only periodically does she catch a glimpse of "the thirst" that other non-vegetarian vampires (especially in New Moon) have. To these vampires, there is nothing wrong with the way that they live. They are who they are and that's what they do. But to Bella, they are repulsive (again, refering to New Moon). I think that is where I agree that she is naive about what being a vampire truly "means".

That being said, I have no idea how it's going to play out, which does make it exciting and I am looking forward to the third book!

LOVE LOVE LOVE the discussion Ladies!

:) Laurenda

Gina said...

I am only on chapter 3 of New Moon, so I hope to have more insight here soon.

Agreed that becoming a vampire isn't the best idea, but I just relate so much to that deep blinding love at that age. Just the fact that he watches her sleep, etc, SOOO romantic... wish I were 17 again!

D said...

You have to remember though, Gina, that he intitially watched her sleep while trying to decide if he should eat her. I'm not sure that Edward is capable of the same kind of blinding love that Bella has for him simply because of the kind of monster that he is. I totally agree with you about feeling the desire that Bella has to become a vampire. It's why I am so torn about how this story will come to a happy ending. What would be perfect is if Edward could become human again. But then- would Bella love him as much. I'm all for deep love- it's the blinding part that I worry about. The love is actually much deeper after you have a few glimpses of reality and the humanity of your lover and love them anyway. That's a much better basis for building eternity on too.

Gina said...

Very true. Good thing I have grown ups like you to set me right. Look at me and my obsession with this first love stuff! I have totally forgotten that he watched her sleep for the sake of figuring out if she was meat or mate!

D said...

Nothing wrong with believing in Romance. I'm glad that you are sticking up for the power of First Love. We all need that first intense attraction to really make the commitments necessary in the future. Hope we "grown-ups" weren't too hard on you. You are right to stick up for Bella and the purity of her passion.

Karen said...

I love this discussion and everyone's comments. I just have to weigh in on Edward's side. I think he absolutely is capable of the depth of love that Bella has for him and perhaps more. He understands what Bella doesn't. He has knows the monster within, but does whatever it takes to protect her, even if it causes him great pain. Isn't that love in the highest sense?

Gina said...

Yes, that IS love in the highest sense. I wish I had a lover with that much compassion!


This also reminds me (of course on a much larger scale) the sufferings Christ had for the benefit of others.