Monday, April 2

Oh, Dear Twilight, what did you do to me?

When Katie told me that this book was about vampires, I immediately thought, “Oh great... fantasy. How am I going to get through that book?”

The joke was on me. I was pleasantly surprised how I got sucked into the story. The author’s goal (as stated in the back cover) was to create situations of impossible fantasy, and then add characters so deeply human that their perspectives make the situation believable. Of course the order was reversed. She gave us Bella first... the most human high school transfer in the universe. Her thoughts were in parallel with some of mine at that age when I would switch schools. I related to her.

THEN came Edward.

I never suspected that at my age and status, I’d be swept back to high school and given the opportunity to vicariously fall in love for the first time all over again! Can I just say that I am in love with Edward Cullen? All vampireness aside, he is amazing. Granted he’s had nearly a century to perfect himself, but wow, I wouldn’t mind having him for dinner (pun intended).

I’ve read a 500 page book and the story was so good, so detailed, so emotional, that it feels like my own memories… a blur of memories. I thought I would be able to give a detailed review, but I can’t. Plain and simply, this book is captivating. I am worn out from reading it, I was so wrapped up in it... but alas, I want to read New Moon as fast as I can. Not something I predicted.

Stephanie Meyer is an amazing talent. What a debut she’s made here!

Credible… I never thought I’d find fantasy credible.

No comments: