Tuesday, April 3

How had I never read Twilight before?

Amanda and I have this unspoken rule when buying books - if words like "erotic" or "sensual" are used to describe the book; it's probably not something we want to read. Being a HUGE fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, I was drawn to this book. Amanda and I were at the book store together when we picked it up, then put it back down... I think the word "seductive" on the back may have frightened me away, or maybe it was the comparison to Anne Rice (I threw away Interview with a Vampire). However, when Michelle announced this book and mentioned the author had gone to BYU, I felt safer. How I loved this book.

I was immediately drawn to the characters - Stephenie M. has a fabulous talent of bringing her characters off the page and into my imagination. And, like Gina, although I am several years out of high school, I totally related to many of the characters - good writing can do that. I think that's why Buffy and Angel were so successful as well because, although the heroine was in high school/college, the themes of the series hit home for teenager and adult alike.

I kept waiting for "that phrase" in the book that would sound so "Mormon." But it never came. If I didn't know Stephenie M. was LDS, I would never have guessed it from the book. That's not to say that she was raunchy, as some authors can be. I was quite pleased with the clean language, lack of sex, etc.

I told Amanda that I was going to wait for the sequel(s) to be out in paperback before I bought them, but I was so drawn into Bella's and Edward's lives, that as soon as I finished Twilight, I drove to the nearest bookstore and bought New Moon. I was in Seattle at the time, and it was a good thing I rented a GPS unit with my car so I could find the nearest Borders. Eclipse is out in August, I'm so excited.

Maybe it's just me, but even though Stephenie M. brings her characters to life, I have a hard time picturing Edward. Maybe he's too perfect? I am totally in love with him. So, now I'm looking for a combination of Mr. Darcy and Edward Cullen. Yummy.

Just an aside - Amanda found some other vampire/werewolf books that take place in her hometown. Coming off the Twilight and New Moon high, I bought the first book - it's called Moon Called by Patricia Briggs. Fascinating story line, but what I found most fascinating were some attributes of the main character - she kneels to pray at night, she doesn't like foul language; she doesn't like crosses to symbolize Christ. So, jokingly, Amanda and I wondered if the author was LDS. I found her website, and a blog from her husband mentioned their son on a mission in Cleveland or something. So, my guess is that she is LDS. So, if any of you are interested in some other cool fantasy stories, Moon Called is followed by Blood Bound, both very interesting.

3 comments:

Gina said...

You are right, I would have NEVER guessed she was LDS either. She did a great job keeping it clean and just the right temperture as far as "seductive" bits go. Call me dirty, but I seemed to want more than just kissing to happen, but the author makes it clear that even kissing is too much for this fragile couple. A good lesson for those 12 and up readers. :)

D said...

I love the way she takes Sex off of the table for them without making it a "big decision." It's just simply too dangerous and there is no agonizing over it. It is still a temptation for them though which is also appropriate. I thought this book was very sexy though for all of it's cleanliness in the writing. She is a talented writer who makes you feel all the headiness of first love without making it dirty.

Gina said...

Perfectly said, D!