Saturday, May 12

Train to Potevka - Katie

I will admit, during the first few pages of this book I was thinking to myself "this guy really isn't a writer." And, technically, he's not. He is, however, a storyteller. Once I got used to the writing, I was thoroughly drawn into his story. And the jumps in the story that bugged me at first, became part of what made him a good storyteller. Who doesn't, in the middle of telling a story, jump into some back story to better explain the current story? I do. And to Mike's credit, sometimes I don't even make it back to my original story.

Maybe it's because I'm a child/teen of the 80's, but I am intrigued by everything KGB, USSR, etc. And I wanted to be one of the first missionaries to Russia that I took a Russian class at BYU after hearing a talk given by M. Russell Ballard (of of the LDS apostles) prior to Russia opening to LDS missionaries, where he "suggested" that "if you want to be called to Russia, learn Russian. Alas, it didn't work. That said, I liked (with a touch of envy) the part of the book *SPOILER ALERT* where Mike meets the missionaries and is so overjoyed. And I was touched to see Mike's love and compassion for the Soviets - our former "enemies." However, it was quite sad to see the distrust that the citizens had toward everyone - even their neighbors.

Although this book is categorized as "fiction," we know it really happened, right? I am amazed at Mike's strength and willpower. Of course, I don't know what I would really do in his situation, but after major injuries and no food for days? I'm dying to find out how that package really made it to the safe house in Potevka.

This is the first "spy" novel I've read where the hero kneels down in prayer to his Heavenly Father - in that occupation, shouldn't they all? ;-)

And the young boy who helped get Mike and the missionaries into McDonald's? Didn't Mike (see how I'm on a first name basis with the author?) say this boy's story was "another story?" Where is that other story? I want to know it. And a word about McDonald's - I'm telling you, even in France, McDo's (as they call it, pronounced "McDough") is always teeming with people. And, everything I go to France, my friends take me there... like it's a big treat.

Thanks, Gina. I'm glad I read this one.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Glad you liked it, Katie. I agree it was rough starting out on this one. He had obviously never written a book before, but he stated such in the introduction. And this is truely an autobiography. He had to change names and a couple locations so he was allowed to share the story and that is why it's marked fiction. We'll have to track our new friend down in Bear River and maybe get an interview with him. I would like to hear more of the "added stories" as well.

Karen said...

KT,

Did I know that you wanted to serve a mission in Russia?! I don't remember you taking a class in Russian, either. Can you speak or understand Russian today? Either I never knew or I am having a senior moment. (Oh, no!) I guess it takes book group for us to find out some things about each other :)

I also had a problem with the writer's craft in this book, especially when compared to the fabulous writing style of "Twilight." It helped to remind myself that he originally wrote it for family only and that he was encouraged to publish and share it.

And about McDonald's . . . one of my student's favorite things is my Bulgarian McDonald's poster (brought back by a missionary who served there). I'm not sure I like the fact that being "American" is equated with liking McDonald's, but it is part of our culture after all. :)

--Karen S.