Sunday, September 2

Eclipse

I loved Eclipse, but I have serious problems with it. I'm not sure I liked it as much as Twilight and New Moon. Bella seemed much more whiny to me, and more wishy-washy. She seemed much stronger in Twilight. Maybe the trauma caused by Edward's leaving in New Moon has had a more profound effect than I thought.

Maybe I'm just a bitter old lady, but, poor Bella, choosing between two guys (please note the dripping sarcasm), and making them both suffer. Is that realistic? Or is it more like a harlequin novel? I had big problems with this. I spoke with Karen about it, and she mentioned that Bella has like Jacob in order for her to have a choice, to CHOOSE life as a vampire with full understanding of what she's giving up. I can kind of see that. However, at the same time, how can Edward be her soul mate if she is in love with Jacob...if Edward's her soul mate, how can a part of her (even a small part of her) prefer Jacob and wish that it was his arms she wanted to be in.

Laurenda sent me a link to a couple of interviews with Stephenie Meyer to help me come to terms with this Edward/Jacob dilemma. One discussion took place at a Borders in Sunset Hills, MO. To quote Meyer:
"If she (Bella) hadn't fully explored the idea of staying human, I don't think I'd be a very responsible parent - and I sort of feel like I'm her mom - to let her go ahead and choose to be with Edward without really looking at all the options." So, Karen hit Meyer's reasoning dead on. Still doesn't mean I like it.

I didn't like Jacob comparing Eward to a drug, and himself to the air and sun (yes, he's a teenage boy and has a lot of growing up to do).

Based on something my niece said, I want to pose a question. She asked whether Jacob would imprint and if he does, how will Bella react. My question is, what if he already has imprinted, and it's Bella? We only have Jacob's word that he hasn't imprinted. If he's imprinted with Bella, and he knows she's in love with Edward, would he tell her? I know he's had no shame in manipulating her in other ways, but imprinting is very serious to werewolves, and would that rejection be too much?

3 comments:

Miss L said...

THANK YOU!!!! I agree totally. And you are not a bitter old woman. lolol.

I mentioned in my review that Stephenie has answered the Jacob/Bella imprinting question on her website. Simply, no he didn't imprint on her. If he did, it would have happened right after he first phased in New Moon and then he could have told her everything about being a werewolf because you don't have to keep any secrets from your "imprintee". :) That seriously would have made that love triangle a mess, wouldn't it??? :)

Great review!

Karen said...

I was re-reading part of Eclipse and came across an interesting passage that also indicates that Jacob didn't imprint. Look at page 173, starting with "So what is it?" and read to the end of the page.

D said...

You gotta remember that Bella is in high school! Drama Drama Drama.

I guess that I am a person who doesn't believe in just one soulmate so her having conflicting love feelings doesn't surprise me. I think to some extent the soulmate you end up with is all about timing. I wonder what would have happened if she had met Jacob first.

Edward is a drug. He is the perfect predator and as part of that he is very attractive to humans in a drug like way. Bella is totally effected by that.