Monday, August 13

The Late Stranger Review

I can't say anything more intelligent about this book that hasn't already been said. Thanks for your reviews, everyone.

I didn't enjoy the book... I was quite confused with this character and his lack of emotion. I am very grateful the book was short so I didn't have to read 500 pages of gloom and facts about his surroundings that didn't matter much.

I am curious about Camus' other works... he did win a Nobel Peace Prize for Literature, so some of his writings MUST be good and uplifting, right?

2 comments:

michelle said...

Yes, you are correct...Albert Camus did win a Nobel Prize for Literature in 1957..."for his important literary production, which with clear-sighted earnestness illuminates the problems of the human conscience in our times."

It does not appear to have been won for any one particular book. In reading a bit about his life and works, it appears as though many of the themes centered on the "rebellion of the absurd." I would definately think "The Stranger" would fall into such a group.

So as to the purpose of responding to your comment, I belive that his writings were "good," be that as critiqued by the "truely learned" but there is nothing in my opinion that indicates that someone needs to have written anything "uplifting" (st least by our collective group standards)to be awarded such an honor.

Michelle

D said...

From what I read about him his belief system was not an "uplifting" one so I don't think any of his books are.

When I talked with my Dad briefly about Camus- he had not read any of his books but he had read a book that discussed the damage that his literature and literature like it has done to our society. There seems to be a prevailing snobbery in Literary academia that believing in nothing is somehow smarter and wiser than believing in a greater purpose. Camus certainly encouraged that belief. And I would say that it is a belief system that has done damage to our society.