Tuesday, July 24

The Strange Stranger

I took this opportunity to read The Stranger in the original French. It was still very strange. Maybe it was all my English Lit classes in high school, but I kept asking myself "who is the stranger?" Does it refer to the Arab killed on the beach? Or does it refer to M. Mersault? If it does refer to Mersault, who is he a stranger to? To the court, to society, or to himself? I think he is a stranger to himself. The only opinion or attitude that he clings to is that he has no regret for killing. How many times throughout the book did he say "ca m'est egal?", or "I don't care." Do you want to get married? I don't care. Do you want to write this letter for me? I don't care. I was SOOOO frustrated with his attitude of "I don't care." Coupled with "I don't care" was his desire to make others happy or understand him. He had no part in what his friend, Raymond, was doing, but Mersault states several times that he did things to make Raymond happy.

I was surprised to read that "[a]lthough he is often associated with existentialism, Camus preferred to be known as a man and a thinker, rather than as a member of a school or ideology. He preferred persons over ideas. In an interview in 1945, Camus rejected any ideological associations: “No, I am not an existentialist.. Sartre and I are always surprised to see our names linked....”

The writing the "L'etranger" seemed very choppy: (I'm translating) "I ate fast and had coffee. Then I went home and slept a little bit...I wanted to smoke. It was late." Just factual statements, emphasizing the lack of emotion.

How odd is his line after killing the Arab (again, translating): "I understood that I had destroyed the balance of the day." Just weird. I did mark several pages that either had beautiful writing, or just strange occurrences.

I like how Camus described the friend or Mersault's mom at the beginning - who was crying but his face was so wrinkled, tears couldn't flow down. Or, at that fatal beach how the sun breaks into shards when hitting the sand. Just fascinating.

There's a whole paragraph that I found interesting, when Mersault is in prison: "I didn't understand why I was deprived of [smoking]. Later I understood that this was part of punishment. But at this moment I was used to not smoking, so this punishment no longer was punishment for me."

I didn't feel sorry for the protagonist - I was just confused that he couldn't understand what was going on around him. I'm all for being a non-conformist, being yourself, being original, but never to the extent that morals and laws no longer pertain to me.

My review is probably as fractured as the book. I can't say I liked it, but I'm glad Danielle chose it. Thanks!!

4 comments:

D said...

I think it is that contradiction that you mention that bugged me most about the character- he kept saying I don't care and then doing things to make people happy. Though he didn't want to make them happy to please them-he did it to keep the feeling of equilibrium- of stasis.


I didn't find the book hard to read though I did find it boring and the main character repugnant. It was short so I read it fast.

Danielle P said...

I agree; I am glad it was a short and easy read. I also thought his sentences were brief and choppy. In a way, I found it refreshing, as oftentimes authors tend to let their sentences run on and on and on and... :)

Katie said...

I agree that he didn't try and make people happy for their happiness, just to keep the peace and make things easier for him. For someone who didn't want to make waves, he sure made them at the end.

D said...

One of the most interesting quotes from the book for me was when he said that he realized that a beautiful summer day could lead just as easily to a hard jail cell or to peaceful sleep at home. Only his lifestyle could make it seem random that he ended up in jail rather than peacefully sleeping at home. I guess that is the whole point of his lifestyle- that there is no order just chaos and no meaning to anything. Somehow that just doesn't work for me...