Sunday, July 8

Zippy

Ladies,

Sorry I am late. I finished the book on time (sort of), but spent the last week in Utah with lots of family, including Katie. I really had a great time, but no spare minutes to post my review. Anyway, here it is:

Having been a teen-ager in a small town (American Fork, UT) during the 60's, I enjoyed this book on one level as a great trip back in time. (I LOVED the photos.) Actually, the setting and many of the events reminded me of my own childhood in the 50's. (Kimmel said Mooreland was a bit behind the times.) I kept writing down my experiences in the margins of the book as Zippy's experiences triggered my memories. My "pixie" haircut. My pair of red patent leather shoes with stacked heels. (I saved my money for weeks to buy them.) The arrival of my very first order of 45 rpm records. (My mother created a treasure hunt through the entire house to heighten my excitement!) I remembered the German shepherd in our neighborhood who killed our neighbor's little dog while I screamed hysterically on the front porch. I remembered when the "Fry Daddy" made its debut. I remembered smells that transport me instantly to some place or event in my past, like the smell of the service station on the corner or the clean chalkboards and floors in my elementary school on the first day. I remembered the Mickie Mouse Club and the blonde Mouseketeer named Karen. I remembered the red and black striped "Suzie longlegs" that my dad brought back from a business trip. I also remembered the "gross" shoes he made me buy when my mom had him take me shopping. I remembered how scary Maleficent was and that Marcus Welby, MD was a TV favorite. I remembered dresses that my Grandma wore, medical breakthroughs like polio vaccines, Avon lipstick, polyester pants, drive-in movies with the big silver sound box that hung over the window, Saturday matinees at the Coral Theater (25 cents), my junior high (the "old" high school) with the detached lunchroom and the candy store adjacent to the school, my mother pin-fitting a jumper to me, and the list goes on. (You can tell this book really took me back!)

But there are other things that made this book a good read besides nostalgia. First, Kimmel's writing style was so genuine and entertaining that I often laughed out loud! She did a great job of capturing a child's outlook and enthusiasm.

She also deals with some very profound issues. (Any of the 16 questions at the back of the book would be fun to discuss with you all.) Zippy's own religious awakenings (Easter--page 242) and her parents' differing approaches to things spiritual (from her dad's church in the trees to her mom's consistent attendance at church) really raised some important questions. I thought it was interesting that the book ended at Christmas with the comment, "Thank you for not losing faith."

The family dynamics dealt with important issues as well. Zippy matter-of-factly lets the reader in on Dad's gambling/smoking/compulsive behavior and Mom's depression/escape from life/financial problems. I found that the way Zippy's older brother and sister treated her really bothered me. For years, I have wrestled with when teasing becomes plain meanness and this seemed like a lot of meanness to me. (And she STILL looks up to them.)

I appreciated the things that made me think. I didn't appreciate the sick/dark side that Kimmel portrays using the neighbor family that abused animals. I wished it hadn't been part of the book. (Do all books today have to have something sensational in them?) When the rabbit was actually eating Zippy's finger, I was absolutely nauseous.

The carnivorous rabbit notwithstanding, I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It was fun and thought provoking and I'm glad I had the opportunity to read it.

--Karen Smith

2 comments:

Gina said...

Great post! I laughed out loud at this book so many times! So entertaining!

D said...

I love that you wrote in the margins of the book! SO cool to have your memories and connections in there.

I thought the brother and sister were harsh too. But then I read the second book. Her sister really matures into a second mother for her. They have a really close relationship. Her stories about her sister in the second book were much more kind. She even takes her sister on her honeymoon with her because she can't bare to leave her behind. I think that was in large part because of the situation at home. It may also have been because she was really young when she got married and a maybe a little scared of the honeymoon. Her brother seemed to remove himself from the family completely even though he stayed in town. It's interesting how relationships change...