Tuesday, September 11

Some of My thoughts on Eclipse

Sorry. I was on vacation for the last week and a half. Almost everyone I talked to on vacation liked the books. ;) Well everyone liked them but everyone argued about the best ending and about the characters. It was fun to hear other opinions and discuss the book in person. I think that we would have a lively discussion in person. That's one of the things I love about the book. Everyone has different allegiances because she hasn't made anyone a complete monster. Not all werewolves are bad, not all vampires are bad, not all humans are bad and yet each of them do monstrous things at various times.

I loved the relation between the vampires and the werewolves. I hope we will continue to find out more about that in the next book. I thought it was interesting that the werewolves believe they were created as protectors and the vampires simply sees them as volatile monsters. I don't understand the Cullens hatred of them. Especially when they are protecting people. The Cullens should support that. I liked the tenuous relationship that forms between them because they are fighting for the protection of their community(which for the vampires only means Bella).

I liked hearing Rosalie and Jasper's stories. I'm glad that Bella heard them. I still feel that Bella is too young to be making the decisions that she is making. I think her aversion to marriage showed that. I'm glad that in this book she struggled with her decisions and her eyes were opened up a little bit. I'm not convinced that she made the right decision. I can't help feeling the same sadness that Jacob and Rosalie do that Bella is going to give up her mortal life and experiences. I feel like she is eating to Fruit of the Tree of Eternal Life before she gets the chance to live and grow. True, she still will have the chance to grow and change- both Jasper and Edward have- but it takes a lot longer and she will be denied important experiences like the opportunity to have kids and family and friends(she will be limited to only the Cullens). I feel like the more mature person would have chosen the life with Jacob. The life with Edward may seem glamorous and he is a wonderful guy but it is extremely limited. The cons are greater than the pros. I think that Jacob has the potential to be as wonderful as Edward and I think her life would be happier because it would be filled with the people she loves not just the person she loves. With Jacob she could have taken the time to grow up before making a commitment. With Edward she is forced into an immediate decision(that's not his fault). The only reason that she shouldn't choose Jacob is because he didn't imprint with her.

I think that Edward is a drug to Bella. As a vampire he has been described as the perfect predator and part of that is his attractiveness to his prey. It is not something he controls but it is part of who he is. It is why he is so irresistible to her. She is like a drug to him too. They tend to be self-destructive together because of their two different worlds.

Ideally Edward would find a way to become Mortal and then Bella could truly choose. Then she wouldn't be blinded by the rush to stay young and beautiful. Then she wouldn't be blinded by his amazing good looks and vampire pheromones. Then she could enjoy all of life's experiences with him by her side. Then she would be making a true life decision rather than the fantasy one.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Wow! What a thought provoking review!! You really gave me some things to think about.

First, the fact that the Cullens don't appreciate the werewolves. I can see why they should, since the werewolves are protecting the innocent, but I can certainly see why they don't. The Cullens have spent decades learning self-control and that's exactly what the werewolves seem to lack: self-control. No wonder they don't have much respect for them--werewolves are so impetuous and the Cullens HAVE to be so reserved. Interesting!

Second, the thought that Jacob might become as wonderful as Edward in a few years, really made me ponder Bella's decision yet again. Would Jacob and Bella really have a better marriage long-term than Edward and Bella?

Third, I hadn't really put my finger on why I was soooo irritated by Bella's aversion to marriage, but you really hit it. She isn't (or wasn't until the end of Eclipse) acting mature enough to be making the kind of life-changing (mortality-ending) decision she is making. I hadn't thought that part of her desire to be with Edward might be a desire to be forever young and glamorous, but her haste to be changed before she is even one year older certainly makes it look that way.

I have been so totally (if regretfully) in Edward's camp (he really is breathtaking!) that it was particularly good for me to see the story from your point of view! Thanks for the insights!!

--Karen S.

Katie said...

Danielle, this was a great review (although I am a total Edward fan).
You said "As a vampire [Edward] has been described as the perfect predator and part of that is his attractiveness to his prey. It is not something he controls but it is part of who he is. It is why he is so irresistible to her."
If I remember the books correctly, Meyer makes a big deal about Bella being impervious to different vampire powers (Edward's mind reading, other powers from the Italian vampires, etc.). If this is the case, would Edward's attractiveness really be because he is a 'perfect predator' or simply because Bella is in love with him?

Gina said...

Awesome review... each time I hear of another reason to love Jacob, I wonder why I liked Edward in the first place. When my nose is in the book, I love Edward. When the conversations start with Jacob fans, I fall for Jacob.

I agree on the pheromone thing... I wonder if she'll be as attracted to Edward when she is a vampire.

D said...

I think she is still affected by the basic vampire skills. When she first describes the Cullens she is drawn to them despite the fact that they are not exactly friendly. She immediately wants to be a part of them despite the fact that they seem very unpopular. Also the scene in the meadow seems to suggest to me that she is still affected by him in an unnatural manner. Though it could just be the attraction of first love that Stephenie is emphasizing that I take for vampire skills. She also emphasizes how unafraid Bella is on the vampires as though this is unusual.

Katie said...

But does she want to be a part of them because she is affected by their vampire skills? If that is a basic vampire skill that effects everyone, why are they so unpopular? Do they use that skill on their prey? Bella was drawn to Edward as he was trying to avoid her at all costs. Hmmm...

Karen said...

KT,
Interesting questions! Why AREN'T all of the high school students in Forks attracted to the Cullens? And is Bella's strong attraction to Edward simply because she loves him? Keep me thinking, girl :)