Tuesday, June 19

Zippy

I have to say I was skeptical about this book at first. And the introduction that spoke about how here sister was just as skeptical about reading a story of a girl growing up in the middle of nowhere and no tragedy in her life...how interesting could that be?

In any case, I was surprised by this book. She relates such interesting stories and memories such as the pig hurling episode with such a tongue in cheek approach that you can hardly not smile at the thought of it. (My sensibilities tell me to be shocked, but I found my self laughing none the less.)

I also loved her candor in regards to so many different realities. One example of this was how she didn't want to be Dana's friend and vice versa and that her other best friends or the second best friends were quickly drawn away from her to this new girl. Etc... I loved the fight for no reason and how they made up and became friends again. Haven skirts around the idea that Dana's home life was different than hers but not that it was as bad as it really was...does any of this make sence? Anyway, she was able to intimate something different than what she is actually saying.

This was a fun and interesting read. I wish that I would be able to remember all the little stories of my childhood...I see pictures and I wonder sometimes what what happening that we needed to remember that moment. I guess my mind is going in my old age!

Thanks for the read!

Michelle

3 comments:

D said...

The new girl stealing her friends is so true to that age. I remember the same thing happening to my cousin and I. Our friends were being taken by the new girl Jamie. I moved away before the end of it all but everything definitely changed after I left. Jamie is still one of my cousins best friends and was her maid of honor at her wedding last year. It's fun to be reminded of these kinds of things. It was a pretty big deal to us at the time. Girls can be pretty nasty to each other around 4th/5th grade.

Danielle P said...

It's funny how friendships are when you are little. There was this girl Rachel who always came between me and my friend Jennifer. But one Saturday, all my other friends were busy, and I invited Rachel to the movies. It's not like we despised each other; I think we just saw each other as rivals. In any case, it's sort of a trip to be reminded of how friendships bloomed and shrank so easily back then.

Gina said...

I wish I could remember the fine details of my childhood too! This book really opened up my memory though.

I remember being so dead-set on a Christmas gift like Zippy was... how she dreamed and daydreamed about that ONE ITEM that she wanted so badly... I did the same thing!