Monday, June 18

All is Zippy

I LOVED this book. It was thoroughly enjoyable. I was entranced by Zippy's childhood recollections. I remember reading a review of the book... "finally, a memoir about a happy childhood." I'll admit, I kept waiting for the "this is why I am the way I am" comments, but they never came (thank goodness).

I don't have my book in front of me, but I know I marked several different pages for one thing or another. Danielle P. said, "I delighted in the character's matter-of-fact approach to things, her mature yet childlike way of expressing herself." I noticed that as well. The author recounted events in an almost adult fashion, but with the innocence of youth. It takes talent to recount a story as a child would perceive events, but include enough information that an adult reader can understand between the lines.

I actually felt myself in the book - wishing I grew up in a small town like Zippy did. I remember mocking older people who "wished for a simpler time" and this was back when I was in high school. Now, I'm the one wishing for a simpler time, one in Mooreland with my family. Haven really knows how to tell a story. I've already purchased the next Zippy book.

I loved her relationships with her family, especially her dad. Aside from his drinking, gambling, etc., there were parts that reminded me of my own dad. I had pages marked as examples, but...

Good choice. Thanks Danielle W.

3 comments:

D said...

Yay! So glad you liked it!
I too am amazed at her ability to write herself through her young self's eyes. For me anyway it's hard not to get nostalgic or cheesy or even rewrite my memories based on my now greater knowledge of events. She really seemed to take us back to the moment and show how she felt and thought then. I love it! I love her innocence.

Danielle P said...

It was really uncanny how she is able to write through those child's eyes. I wonder if she kept a journal to help her remember how she felt.

Gina said...

"...with the innocence of youth."

So true... just the fact that she kept on referring back to the "fact" that she was adopted by gypsies... cracked me up. She was a child as she wrote this book... not an adult thought in her mind, which made it such a unique read.