Saturday, June 2

A Train to Potevka

I am sorry I haven't posted until now. I was able to lend the book to D so she'll be posting soon too... before our due date for the Zippy book.

Ramsdell did a great job for a "first book" and though it seemed a little rough starting out (because I am so used to seasoned writing), I got used to his style a couple chapters into it. It was an autobiography... a unique one. I've never read an autobiography before.

I was glad I had New Moon to read when I got bored with the back and forth of Ramsdell's life and then general Russian history. When he skipped to history I would put the book down and read New Moon. My husband kept making fun of me because it took him like 3 sittings to finish that book and it took me 3 weeks. I just wasn't in a hurry... what's wrong with that?

I haven't posted because everyone said what I wanted to say about the book. I had the same feelings about the scenerios that played out. What was the back story with his ex-wife, how old was Bonnie, what happened to that little boy who took them to the front of the McDonald's line and how was he compensated for being given the wrong orders and left to die of starvation? So many unknowns... makes me want to track Ramsdell down and interview him.

The main theme for me was how desperate the Russian people are... how blessed I am to live in the United States and have free reign over the food I eat and how much of it I have. I felt so humbled as Ramsdell was starving for so long and in the condition he was... I don't think I would have made it. I would have probably dropped myself in the deep snow and stayed there to fall into the slumber of death. I really think I would have.

My heart sunk when Ramsdell said that he never went back to Potevka... that he never was able to thank those kind strangers who showed they had compassion in his time of need. I am sure it broke his heart too, that he didn't revisit the woman that reminded him of his mother.

I have to thank my husband for recommending this book. I learned so much about the Russians and I hope to research their way of life even more.

1 comment:

D said...

It was interesting to me how hard it was for me to believe that things were as bad as he said in the book. I just kept feeling like his descriptions were cliche and that it couldn't really be that bad. I felt like it was exaggeration. But then I would remind myself of pictures that my cousin took in Russia- probably in the early 90s. I remember seeing pictures of the toilets that were basically latrines. It really was that bad. I think I had a hard time believing it because their experience is so outside my own. We truly are blessed to live here.