Saturday, February 3

Fablehaven...finely

Hello, let me re-introduce myself. My name is Michelle and I am currently Katie's roommate...at least for the next couple of months. Amazing that it could be that I could actually live with Katie and not post. I am a bit slow sometimes and I just figured out how this blasted thing works on this new fangled system. Anyway, here is my report...

Fablehaven was a cute little novel that caught my attention and I was able to read it in just days. I liked the idea of having a sanctuary for all the "fairy tale" characters that need refuge. I would hope that I would be open minded enough to see what those kids finely saw. I too like the idea that the little "insects" flying around in the garden would actually be fairies...but who too thought that they could be so tough.

I do have to say that I was super frustrated with Seth. I thought what a dumb bunny he was and how he never learned. I can understand sort of pushing the envelope with the rules but when the consequences were as dramatic as they were the first time, I was shocked that not even hours later Seth was being naughty again. Perhaps my naivety in not having children allowed my impatience with him to distract from the story but he never learned. I suppose it is a lesson that we need to learn. We need to be able to learn from our own mistakes and then learn from those around us. Maybe I was frustrated with Seth, perhaps because I am so like him...(deep, I know!)

I really like the lessons that we can learn from seeing out how consequences are paid out according to our decisions. Many of the decisions of grandpa and the kids show us this. Seth didn't know that the fairy would change if certain things were not done. Yet it changed the fairy for the worse...sad. I am just glad that things were righted in the end. One other thing, I would love to have those creatures (I can't remember their name and I don't have the book with me) but they come up at night and fix the stuff that is broken. I need that!

I have to agree with Katie in her assessment in the religious themes throughout. (Isn't this author LDS?) Truely how do we get through our lives without interjecting religious themes in our lives.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and I really have enjoyed the diversity of all the books that we have been reading.

Thanks again Katie for setting this up!

No comments: