Friday, January 4

The book with the gramatically incorrect title.

I started a post about a month ago, got interrupted, and never finished it. I should not have chosen to start working a retail job during the holidays. I haven't had any time for myself, let alone my family. I apologize, Katie, for not posting within the acceptable timetable, but I still wanted to add my two cents.

I loved "These is my Words". The beginning was very depressing, but once I got past the first five tragedies I either became calloused, or the events weren't as traumatic. Perhaps it was my enjoyment of the book or the fact that I now live in Texas, but for a while, I had a difficult time not speaking like a hick. Maybe that is my true nature, and the real challenge is trying to sound educated in my daily life.

That brings me to the "education" theme of the book. I loved and admired Sarah's thirst for knowledge. We all tend to make assumptions about other people, and I appreciated how she was able to shove other people's disrespect in their faces. Her interaction with the banker and her ability to see right through Felicity were prime examples. We tend to become so accustomed to the environment in which we live, that we start to believe that it is the norm. After having lived in Utah for so long, and being surrounded by college students, when we first moved to small town, oil field, Texas I was rudely awakened to the fact that not everyone has a college degree, and that I was a snob. My apologies if I've mentioned that before, but it was such a poignant moment for me. The fact that Sarah was perceived as being uneducated gave her an advantage in many ways. She was often overlooked and used it to her advantage.

I believe that Sarah's greatest enemy was her own insecurity. Jack loved her for all the reasons that we loved her character. It's human nature, I suppose, to overlook our strengths, and focus on our weaknesses. Sarah was a hero simply because she always rose to the challenge.

I loved Jack. It's hard not to love a "Rhett Butler".

I realize that I have completely neglected the "Group Discussion Questions". I'll try to follow the rules better next time.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Karen, you are hilarious. I think, in our own way, we are all snobs. We get comfortable with who we are and what we know, and then when people don't know what we think they should...
I'm glad you posted - better late than never. :-)

Karen said...

Karen B.,
I am SO glad someone else is posting late . . . and it's MY book :) I loved your comparison of Jack with Rhett Butler! I hadn't thought of it but it certainly fits!
--Karen S.

Gina said...

I loved the snob comments too! I have found myself feeling that way now and again... boy is it hard to keep my mouth shut in situations like that. I loved your post! Great work, even if you didn't go along with the "rules" this time.