Wednesday, March 28

Second Glance

Hello, ladies... late, but posting.

I have to say that I was disappointed in this book. And although I thought the writing was spectacular, I got lost in the all the details and all the people. I had trouble really getting into the book and it wasn't until about the last quarter of the book was I really drawn into the story. I was sad about this because I so got into her other book that we read in book club...My Sister's Keeper.

I struggle with the eugenics studies. Not that I think that there is some superior race and that all others need to be esentially done away with, by any means, but on the idea of not being able to have children and needing to go with fertilility treatments or invetro fertilization. Would I want to know if there were any physical defects in the embryo before it is emplanted? What would I do? I have never been faced with that situation, but I found those questions to be the ones that resonated most with me. Crazy, I know.

I realize that Jodi Picoult has more books out than I thought. I will be interested to read more of her stuff. Perhaps this one was just a fluke for me or I wasn't in the right mind frame to read it...that is highly possible. In any case...thanks for the choice!

Michelle

1 comment:

Gina said...

I absolutely agree with your review! Right on.