Thursday, March 15

Second Glance - Gina's late take

Okay, I thought this would be a quick read like any other book I've read. It ended up being the longest I've ever taken to read a book. Maybe it was the slow first half, maybe it was the fact that I was thinking too hard on each sub-chapter of the book which slowed my reading. I have to admit, though, that this author is very good at giving you just enough information to keep you questioning your own conclusions as you go. I didn't like her "poetic" metaphors especially in the first chapter. "Slow as a Ballerina" when referring to the railroad track arms coming down, made me laugh. A bit corny but as the book went on it happened less.

I liked Karen's review of the book. She really summarized it well on how all the characters lives intertwined. I think this is the first book I've read that was this complex with connecting all the characters. It is very evident that Jodi did her homework on eugenics, genetics, toxemia, XP and CSI details. I loved how credible the whole story was, but Danielle made a good point that the ending came together a little TOO perfectly.

I wasn't extremely bugged by Az's death because the guy was indeed 102. The murder mystery was solved and all was set right... he didn't need to hang around any longer. I felt he recognized he and Meredeth lived in two different worlds and wouldn't necessarily keep in touch like she intended to. I personally think it would have been a strained relationship.

Every book I read I like to walk away with a quote from it that will continue to inspire me. Here is the excerpt that really got me to the core:
"Heroes didn't leap tall buildings or stop bullets with an outstretched hand; they didn't wear boots and capes. They bled, and they bruised, and their superpowers were as simple as listening, or loving. Heroes were ordinary people who knew that even if their own lives were impossibly knotted, they could untangle someone else's. And maybe that one act could lead someone to rescue you right back."
~Ross Wakeman

2 comments:

Katie said...

Gina,

I love that quote. So hard sometimes to see beyond our own knotted lives to help someone else. Thanks!!

D said...

Way to find a redeeming quote in the book! That is an awesome quote!