Wednesday, December 27

Persian Pickle - Posted by Karen Buxton

I enjoyed this book just as much the second time. Both times I put the book down wondering who really was responsible for killing Ben Crook. I really don't think that it was Queenie. Then again, maybe it was. Brilliant!

There were several things that I liked about the book one of them being the language, and visual images that she created. (The scarf had slipped off her (Nettie's) neck and her goiter quivered like a piglet.) I felt sorry for the poor lady with the goiter, but I couldn't help but laugh.

Interesting that Katie didn't like Rita. She really wasn't all that likeable, because she seemed so superficial and shallow, but by the end of the book one can see that she does have loyalty, and an appreciation for the people that she met and the lessons learned on the farm. I like to think of her as the "Scarlet O'Hara" of the book, and Queenie as the "Melanie" Queenie seems to see the best in people, and is forgiving of their faults. She's completely contented with the life that she leads, and can't imagine anything or anyplace better. Rita is the belle of the ball, and is completely out of her element. She's not content to roll with the punches, she's going to fight. I can identify with Rita because I experienced some intense culture shock when we moved to West Texas. It took me a while to get off of my high horse and focus on the comonalities instead of the differences. As much as I want to be like Queenie, there's an element of Rita in me.

I also appreciated the strong relationships between the women regardless of their age differences. We all have something to gain from our relationships with others regardless of our ages. The older I get the more I appreciate the women around me.

I'm not feeling too eloquent tonight, so I better end. I'm glad that the book has been enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to reading the next selection.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Karen,

Interesting comparison between Rita and Scarlet O'Hara - even more interesting because I don't like Scarlet either. However, no matter how much of Rita you think there is in you (and I don't see it). I still like ya!!
I also liked the strong relationships between the women. It's a great tie we share. And no matter how great the men in our lives are, nothing beats having good women friends.