Tuesday, November 22

I wasn't disappointed

I read Sarah Plain and Tall many years ago and loved it! I remember being so impressed with MacLachlan's ability to not say things. So many times authors, particularly of adolescent/kid lit, think they need to make sure their readers "get it." KT put it best, "Most of what was said wasn't written." It was great to read a story that could speak to audiences of such widely different ages.

Because I loved Sarah Plain and Tall, I was very excited to read Skylark. I wasn't disappointed. It was a quick read and I found once I started it I couldn't put it down. (I finished at about 1:00 a.m.) I usually mark my books up so I can find favorite passages, but I wanted to be able to make this one available for my students, so I restrained myself. (This made it harder to find my favorite passages, however.) I loved the relationship of Sarah to her immediate and extended family. I loved the ruggedly independent New Englanders. I particularly appreciated the strength and commitment of family ties--especially between Jacob and Sarah--and their efforts to do what was best for their children, even when it was difficult for them personally. Sarah's journey, both physically and emotionally, was so insightful. When she wrote her name, it marked the end of her journey. She understood herself and was very clear about what was important.

Like Laurenda, I want to read MacLauchlan's other books and plan to buy Caleb's Story and More Perfect than the Moon ASAP. (By the way Laurenda, welcome back to the midwest. Where is Bonner Springs and why are you moving there? And congratulations on your expected new arrival! When will Rod & I get to see you?)

Happy Thanksgiving!

--Karen

No comments: