Tuesday, February 23

angel's game

I have to say that I wasn't so engrosed in this story that I felt like I had to have this book done yesterday. I actually had this book at work and a coworker saw that I left it on a chair over night and she thought that I had left it for her...I wasn't finished, however, and so I let her finish and then I picked it up when I got it back. I wasn't that stressed about it.

Now, saying that, I have to say that I really did like the book. I thought the idea of crossing over into the dark side and not even realizing it until there was no going back is interesting. Sort of makes you want to try harder to stay on that narrow path. I really don't think David was aware of where he was going..to the dark side. He was "healed" by the "boss", but did he know at that time that he would never age or possibly never die? I think he was brought into the bowels of hell by the promise of money and doing something "important" and by feeling obligated to someone who really wanted him to be the minion he became. It was sad his demise. He really lost everything instead of gaining all that he was promised. All those around him seemed to be dying and he just got to watch.

I loved Isabella's character. I liked her strength and the combination with her vulnerability. She seemed as real Spaniard. The women are tough but can be gentle. Christina's character was sad to me. I don't think that she was in any better situation the way her life was going. She made all the wrong decisions and if she would have been true to herself, she wouldn't have ended up under the ice in the middle of a river. Sad but true.

I loved the intrigue and the historical information about Barcelona. I love that place. I didn't know many of the places he was talking about, but some registered. It was fun to be taken back to such a long time ago. Wouldn't it be fun to go to where we just read.

I also did think it was a bit of a cruel trick bring Christina back to him at the end and as a small child. I think David did his best in thought process of saying how she would never want and that she would grow up so different, but David was really in love with Christina and this relationship that was going to be formed wouldn't be the same as the one he wanted. Paternal instead of the love of his life...one he always thought about.

One other thing...as I was reading, I kept thinking, I need to remember this passage or the next but I never has a pencil handy. I loved the was the author described things. You could really see what he was wanting you to. Barcelona had many factories that belched black smoke and the night it was raining and the rain was dropping in sheets of ink or something like that. Great descriptions. I think the translator really did a fascinating job.

Thanks Katie.

I just got The Hunger Games...only the first one, although everyone asked me if I was sure I wanted only this one...I'm excited to start!!! Michelle

1 comment:

Miss L said...

I love your points about how he was now going to have a paternal role/love for Christina instead of a romantic love. I don't think I grasped that when she was presented to David at the end of the book.

Also, you are so right about the slow path to destruction that all can take if one is not careful. Great review! :)