Thursday, November 5

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale

So now it's been awhile since I read the book but I loved it!  I went to the library and got all of the Shannon Hale books I could get my hands on.  They were all very fun reads.  My sister had been recommending her books to me for awhile and I am glad I took her up on it.

Princess Academy is not sappy or sweet.  It's about a tough, smart,and small girl, Miri, who grows up in the unappreciated mining town of Mt Eskel.  They are the only ones who mine Linder, the best stone for building  I imagine a granite or Marble like stone).  Physical strength( for girls or boys) is highly valued in their community and everyone goes to work in the mines after they reach a certain age.  Except Miri.  Her father will not let her work in the mines.  She struggles with self-esteem issues and shame because she feels worthless to her family and community since she is not working in the mines.  Then one day a messenger comes from the capital city saying that the next princess will be chosen from the girls at Mt Eskel and all girls between the ages of 12 and 18 are taken from their families to attend the Princess Academy to learn how to be a Princess.  This has serious consequences for each of the families as they struggle to mine enough Linder to trade fr food for their families and need each family member to work.  The palace sends guards who threaten the town into letting their girls go.  The experience at Princess Academy is not what they expected as they are put in fierce competition with each other and shut off from their families.  Miri discovers her worth and the worth of her whole community through the Princess Academy.  This is not your typical Princess story and it is wonderful! I highly recommend it for ages 8 and up up up! (though an 8 year old may need it read to them)

No comments: