Sunday, June 21

The Gospel According to Larry

I was disappointed reading this book for the second time. My memory of it was much better. This time it seemed cliched and "Larry" was just soooo full of himself. He was a typical teenager though so I cut him some slack. I did think the book brought up lots of interesting things to discuss still- the power of the media, consumerism, materialism (I definitely need to cut down on some possessions). Then there's the whole anti-popularity kind of thing... My brother-in-law (he's 16) likes to dress differently from other kids at school and be his own trend; the problem is that he makes it look cool so other kids start copying him. Can you be original and successful and not lose your originality? I also thought it was funny how excited Larry was about all the vendors who sold goods at cost at Larryfest. Talk about awesome free advertising! LOL!
I also loved the way Beth called him out on all of "his" brilliant ideas after she found out he was Larry. All of his work was really hers!

No comments: