Wednesday, April 1

The Alchemist - loved it

I kept on pronouncing this book (in my mind) the achelmist before I found out what an Alchemist actually is. Now I'll never say it wrong in my head or out loud again. This was such a great read. You gotta love how short it was in length too. ;)

My friend recommended this book to me more than a year ago. I finally had a chance to read it, along with you all, and found that my dear friend could have written this book herself. All the advice she gives me and all the positive perspective she has on life, is portrayed in this simple story.

Some people know themselves early on. Some of us are still figuring out who we are and what we are striving for in life. Finding your purpose in life isn't the only key. One has to love them self enough to make good choices and feel content in any given situation. There have been many a time I have said, "It's just not supposed to be" or "I'm not good enough." This friend has said in those times, "Gina, you are acting like the world is against you and that isn't the case!" The universe isn't fighting us. The universe is actually cheering for us! If we want something badly enough, a higher power can help us achieve our goal.

This lesson is a great reminder no matter what your religion!
"When you are loved, you can do anything in creation. When you are loved, there's no need at all to understand what's happening, because everything happens within you, and even men can turn themselves into the wind. As long as the wind helps, of course." pg. 147

And here are a couple quotes that hit me very deeply as an LDS woman:
"The wise men understood that this natural world is only an image and a copy of paradise. The existence of this world is simply a guarantee that there exists a world that is perfect. God created the world so that, through its visible objects, men could understand his spiritual teachings and the marvels of his wisdom. That's what I mean by action." pg 127
"Remember what I told you: the world is only the visible aspect of God. And that what alchemy does is to bring spiritual perfection into contact with the material plane." pg 142

3 comments:

Katie said...

To go along with your theme, Gina, is the following quote: "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

Miss L said...

I remember this quote, too, and being moved by it. :)

Miss L said...

Um...I should clarify that while I enjoy the quote by Katie in the comments, I meant the quote Gina posted about the world being a visible aspect of God.