Tuesday, November 11

The Wednesday Wars

I wish I'd written my review right after I read the book, because I LOVED IT SO MUCH! But now, weeks have passed and, what do I remember? "I LOVED IT SO MUCH!" I want to buy it for my personal collection, I loved it so much.

The basic story is about 7th grader Holling Hoodhood (what a riot that last name is) coming of age during the Vietnam War. He is the only Presbyterian in his class, and all his Catholic and Jewish friends leave on Wednesday afternoons for religion classes, so he's stuck with his teacher who assigns him to read Shakespeare. The result is a tale so gentle, so moving and so hilarious. We get to learn all about relationships, interwoven with bits of wisdom from Shakespeare. My favorite is the development of Holling's relationship with his sister (so poignant!); his relationship with his teacher Mrs. Baker (a main theme in the book) is so true to life. I remember as a young student being seriously surprised to see one of my teachers at the grocery store. Holling's relationship is like this with Mrs. Baker. Initially, he views her stereotypically as a "mean" teacher who hates his guts. By the end of the book, we see her as a person--someone who has history and emotional angst all of her own, and compassion and tenderness and bravery. And we see first love bloom. How great IS Meryl Lee? So great. I wish I had a Coke right now. :)

Some of my favorite parts? The "swearing". LOVED that. Wish I could remember some of them....OH well. And The Rats. Ohhhhhh, the rats. And how appropriately triumphant was it that the one teacher who left with a nervous breakdown came back as the principal and took care of the rats and was the hero of the 7th Grade Camp Overnighter? It kinda sums up how life can be.

Also, I loved it when Holling was pounding the chalkboard erasers and that huge cloud of dust covered the delicious puff pastries--how funny was the whole puff pastry thing? I mean, his fellow students hounding him for them, which lead him to become a thespian! And the consequences of that? And I loved that he embraced the role because he FELT it, even if it meant he had yellow feathers on his rear? And the rats (did I mention the rats?). And the tender scene where his friend gives Mickey Mantle back the signed ball??? And the strawberries? And, my favorite, where Holling cashes in his prize to pick up his sister (his second "saving" of her), after learning how to run, really run, from Mrs. Baker? These things touched my heart and tickled my funny bone. I was sad when this book ended because it was sooooo good. But I also closed the covers of it very contented.

So, if you haven't read it, it's so worth it. It truly is a feel good book.

5 comments:

Katie said...

I totally forgot about the teacher who left because of her nerves and came back as the principal. Loved that part. And those two rats. Ugh! And wasn't Mrs. Baker an Olympian? I thought that was great.

Karen said...

I finished the book a few weeks ago. I didn't underline my copy because I want to make it available for my students to read (although I am not sure I want to give them any ideas . . . #167 ?!?!). I, too, had forgotten about the teacher / principal. I LOVED that story! And Mrs. Baker rocked! I loved that she got the job designing the remodel of the stadium for Mr. Kowalski. Thanks for reminding of more of my favorite parts. Actually, I think it was ALL my favorite part!

Katie said...

That's right - I loved the story line of Mr. Kowalski getting the job for the stadium. Holling's dad was so arrogant about winning the other project (and I'm glad that Mr. Kowalski ended up with some integrity there), and then to have Mr. Kowalski win an even bigger project? Priceless. Is that rude of me to dislike Holling's dad so much?

D said...

I think we are supposed to dislike the father. I mean- his kid gets hit by a bus and he doesn't even make it to the hospital! Ridiculous! I felt sorry for the ghost-like mother too. She had almost no part in the story and what part she did have was so defeated.

Gina said...

I SO agree with you D!