Wednesday, November 12

I loved Wednesday Wars too

I loved the self centered 12 year old perspective. I loved his sense of self and what was right and wrong. I loved the description of the saddest sound in the world coming from Mrs. Brigio and how he incorporated that into himself and who he was.

This book had a perfect balance of funny ironic and sad tragic stories. I hated his parents and loved Hupfer's parents. His dad was self-centered beyond acceptable behavior. I hope Holling grows up and works for Kowalski and assocciates instead. I was glad that Holling had good adult examples in his life.

I loved the way that the historical time period and shakespeare stories were intermixed with his life. What an amazingly crazy year in history! and I loved his Romeo and Juliet romance with Meryl Lee. I love that through all the pain and turmoil his faith in miracles was restored and despite his father's poor example he learned how to be a man from Shakespeare and other examples.

fun book! Thanks for the suggestion.

2 comments:

Miss L said...

Thanks for bringing up the Romeo and Juliet subtext for Holling and Meryl Lee. I'd forgotten that comparison in the book. And I agree that it'd be sweet if Holling grew up and worked for Meryl Lee's dad! ha! Love it. :)

Karen said...

I love the thought that Holling could end up working for his dad's competitor. What poetic justice!!