Monday, July 28

Welcome to the World!

Firstly, let me just say that I'm loving the look of our reading group blog! So cute! Thanks Katie. :)

Secondly, I actually read the book! Wahoo. For me, getting into the story was kinda like getting into a swimming pool. I stuck my toe in, found it was kinda chilly, but eventually ended up just jumping in the deep end and ended up feeling refreshed and glad I did. Translated: I started the book and liked it but thought, goodness, this is slow going. So I read the end and I was like, Wait, Why is Dena hooking up with the psychiatrist? Which let me to the middle of the book (with Tennessee Williams) and that got me to go back and pick up where I had left off and then I read the rest of it, completely engrossed.

Conclusion: I really really enjoyed this book!!!! It took a while to unveil the mystery, but I thought it was fascinating. I had NO CLUE that was where everything was headed, did you? The conclusion with Marion and Theo was incredibly sad--I can't even imagine what that life must have been like, but I was so happy that Dena's character was finally able to find peace...literally and figuratively...in her life by "returning home," where she was LOVED LOVED LOVED unconditionally. The very best type of "rescue."

There were two parts of the book that really had an impact on me. Clearly the chapter where she goes to "interview" Tennessee Williams...I found this so profound, considering that "Welcome" was published in 1998/99 (I can't remember exactly), set in the 70's (-ish), but being read in 2008 and it made me totally think about the feeding frenzy we are experiencing now with all the "Brittany" "Brangelina" "Whomever is current" gossip and hounding. Even the political scene is all about digging and finding the most horrid and terrible things about people and "exposing" them, all in the name of "news". I thought the discussion was very candid and rang true for so many things concerning that "whore fame" where you are at one moment running towards it and then frantically trying to run from it.

The other part that had a huge impact on me was when Dena is in the hospital, trying to recover from her bleeding ulcer that nigh unto killed her, and the story tells of how she had this very diverse but incredibly large group of people praying for her all around the world. That totally had me in tears. And I love Aunt Elner's prayer of "I'm not busy and I'd love to finally see you, so take me instead." Ugh! I'm getting teary-eyed thinking of it again.

I love that no one was perfect in this book, but all these characters seemed very human and quite possibly, someone you'd meet (or have met!). I really liked it. Thanks for suggesting it!!!!

:) Laurenda

1 comment:

Katie said...

Thank you so much for picking up on the unconditional love. How much easier it is for a person to discover who they really are when they are loved unconditionally. That makes the journey of discovery a safe and comfortable place to be.