Wednesday, July 30

Welcome to the World, Baby Girl

Sometimes I had hard time believing Dena's character. Her thoughts and attitudes about life were so different/so in conflict with the way that other people saw her. She didn't hide those attitudes and was terrible to waiters and others. I thought her behavior was pretty scandalous and I was surprised that it wasn't an issue for her because she was a media darling. I guess that just shows how the gossip shows have taken off that I expect that behavior to damage her career. I was surprised that they had to dig for dirt on her, I thought she was providing enough dirt with her alcoholism and her attitude toward others. She was lucky to have people who loved her so unconditionally 'cause she was pretty much a stinker. I just found it hard to believe that people couldn't see her detachment and hatred for others more clearly. But I guess that's where the detachment comes in- she didn't let anyone get close enough to see who she was and she was very skilled at being polite.

I liked that in this book we got to see her change gradually. I think Crow Lake was a little harder to relate to because Kate didn't get her wake up moment until the end of the book. We didn't get to see Kate change. The book at least ended with the hope that she would but most of the book was her narrating her detached self and she was harder to like. Dena was more vulnerable from the beginning and her conversations with Sookie highlighted her changing.

When I first started reading about neighbor Dorothy I thought of blogging. It's the whole new form of radio. It connects people in all the little corners of the world. It was interesting how the book didn't feel dated to me even though it was set in the seventies and the technology is so different now.

I was glad to see things come full circle and how Dena embraced her family at the end. I felt bad for her Grandparents that they missed out on it. I bawled when I read about her mom accidentally committing suicide half way around the world away from her baby girl. I love that Aunt Elner found that picture of Dena's mom holding her with love in her eyes. I'm glad that she could remember her new mom with that piece added.

I think I have more to say but I want to post this and my two year old wants to play a game. :) so... I will post and just have to comment later...

1 comment:

Katie said...

I agree with you - it was nice to see Dena change throughout the book rather than a "promise" of change right at the end. Isn't it interesting the role that Sookie plays in the book - maybe the anti-Dena?