Sunday, May 18

Kite Runner

It's been a long time since I posted (crazyness/lazyness are my excuses), and it's been a long time since I read "Kite Runner" (which I was in no hurry to reread). I really enjoyed the book for the good the bad and the ugly. I like a book that can take me out of the revolution of my daily existence, and help me to understand that the whole world does not live like middle class Americans. It helps me to be more appreciative of the life that I lead.

I could identify with personality traits of each of the main characters. It reminded me of selfish angry Scarlet and the loving, guiless, loyal Melanie (a bit of a stretch, I know) in "Gone with the Wind". I want to be the unselfish forgiving Hassan, but wonder if I'd be more likely to run when faced with a situation requiring great courage like Amir. We all make mistakes, and I hope that I have learned from mine.

2 comments:

Danielle P said...

I totally hadn't thought of the Scarlett/Melanie relationship as an analogy to Amir and Hassan, but I totally see it.

Katie said...

That's what makes you a better person than I am, Karen. I was so upset with Amir and thought that I could NEVER do what he did and leave a friend to suffer like that. You, however, recognize that we all make mistakes - it's what we learn from them that makes us better people. Thanks!!