Sunday, May 18

Kite Runner - A fabulous title

I really enjoyed Danielle P's review of the book. She about covered everything that I would have mentioned. This was a tragic and haunting story. I still don't know if I am going to watch the movie because I am not ready to go back to that place [of heart wrenching sadness].

I didn't think I could ever forgive Amir for what he did to Hassan. I kept reading, hoping that something would make me feel better about that horrible scene... and the further betrayal (when Ali finally moved Hassan and himself out of Baba's home).

My heart just broke more when Baba got sick and Amir got called back to Afghanistan by Rahim Khan. The story of Hassan's mother coming back, the massacre that left Sohrab an orphan. Etc, etc. I just wanted to put the book down. I didn't though. I went to the near end and found the redeeming part of the book that helped me forgive Amir. Rahim Khan's letter to Amir... admitting he knew everything and encouraging him to forgive himself and make it right. The main thing he mentioned was that Amir was a child when he did those things to Hassan. A child. It made me rethink everything and what I would do at the age of 10 or 11 if something similar happened.

As for the title of the book and the ending... it was beautifully matched! Hassan a kite running hero at the beginning and Amir a hero at the end, teaching Hassan's boy the talent he surely had within him. The perfect tie.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I watched the movie The Kite Runner last night and gained a new understanding of THAT pivotal scene in the book. The author was making a metaphor of what happened in Afghanistan... that the country was literally raped and the rest of the world just watched. A new understanding. Very very sad.