Wednesday, February 20

Jane Eyre - Self-righteousness is not religion

I think the favorite part of my version of Jane Eyre was the Preface. Charlotte Brontë inscribed the second edition of Jane Eyre to W.M. Thackeray (which was included in my book). In that inscription she writes, "Conventionality is not morality. Self-righteousness is not religion...appearance should not be mistaken for truth." I love that. And how Jane Eyre reflects this, both the book and the character. Right from the beginning Jane doesn't cave in to conventionality - I love it when tells Mr. Brocklehurst that she will avoid hell by taking care not to die. Classic!! Jane doesn't do anything conventionally, but has a very high moral standard. Amanda and I were talking about how much integrity Jane had to have in order to leave Thornfield - a place where she has finally felt she could make a home. Could I have done that? Leave someone I love with such an intense passion? Hmmm...

Another reference to appearances occurs when Bessie and Abbot are talking at the beginning of the book about Jane's illness. Bessie states, "Poor Miss Jane is to be pitied, too, Abbot." Abbot replies, "Yes, if she were a nice, pretty child, on might compassionate her forlornness..." How one appears determines how we should feel toward them? And yet, it does. I know I do it - when I see someone dressed in rags, I feel differently toward them than I do someone who is neatly dressed (expensively or not doesn't matter). Appearances should not be mistaken for the truth. How much more character Jane has than Georgiana, the "nice, pretty child."

I LOVE this book - it is one of my all time favorites. I love several of the movie adaptations as well - my two favorite being Jane Eyre (Masterpiece Theatre, 2006) and Jane Eyre (A&E, 1997). Mr. Rochester is such a great character - morally questionable at time, and yet totally sympathetic. I really don't even have a problem with the mind games he plays with Jane because in a way, he's really helping her come to the realization that she loves him. "You never felt jealousy, did you, Miss Eyre? Of course not: I need not ask you; because you never felt love," (pg.210). Opposition in all things? Could we know joy without sadness?

One thing that struck me this time was the age of Mrs. Reed at the beginning of the book. In the movies, and in my previous readings of this book, she seems so old - like in her 50's (sorry, Karen). But this time around I realized she's only in her 30's. I've never pictured her this young before (and yes, 30's are YOUNG).

I especially appreciate how Charlotte Brontë and her sisters (as well as Jane Austen) broke out of the conventional roles for women. Brontë even makes reference to it in the book: "women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do...It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex," (pg. 161 of my book).

I love the following exchange between Rochester and Jane:
"Is the...man justified in daring the world's opinion, on order to attach to him for ever this gentle, gracious, genial stranger; thereby securing his own peace of mind and regeneration of life?"
"Sir, [said Jane] a wanderer's repose or sinner's reformation should never depend on a fellow creature. Men and women die; philosophers falter in wisdom, and Christians in goodness."
All this is true, but I love Rochester’s follow up:
"But the instrument - the instrument! God, who does the work, ordains the instrument."

I would like to pose a question to the group. Why, when referring to certain townships, etc., does the text insert a dash? Like ------shire? And yet, other places are referenced without problem.

There is so much more I could say about this book, but I ramble on. Thanks, Amanda, for giving me the opportunity to reread Jane Eyre. I love it.

1 comment:

Miss L said...

I meant to comment on this earlier, but I loved your review, and I appreciate that your edition had some insights. Also, I think I kinda overlooked Rochesters' manipulation, but you are dead on. He totally played mind games with her, but I wonder if that's because he himself felt trapped in one. Hmmmm. ANYWAY!!!! I tried finding out what the -----shire meant, but to no avail...so far. I'm still looking!!!

:) Laurenda