Tuesday, January 23

Fablehaven

Ok Ok Ok Katie--thanks for sending the last email, it had been so long since I posted I forgot how to even get to the website:( Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, I have no excuse except for procrastination. I have to say that I loved most of the books we read last year, for those I didn't love I at least learned something from the reading. Now, to get to the good stuff, Fablehaven....

I love Fablehaven. I was hooked from the 2nd page and I would deliberately miss work in the morning (ok, that's not hard to do) so that I could read just a few more pages! I can't wait for the sequels and I think it could easily be made into a movie (hey if Eragon could be made into that travesty of a movie, so could Fablehaven, but I want it to be good!).

Who else wanted to rip off Seth's head? He was so annoying! I felt bad for Kendra especially on the night of the party when he opened the window! I have to say that this part in particular was scary for me. I had to turn on another light in my room:) I'm not sure I could have read this book as a kid, even the picture of the old witch on the cover of the book is freaky.

The imagery and detail in the writing is great. I could feel myself in Fablehaven. While I had trouble getting hooked to Leven Thumps because of the writing style (although I will never look at a toothpick the same way), I had no such problem with Fablehaven. Part of my main hangup with Leven Thumps was the writing, I would notice the mistakes or awkwardness of the writing instead of the actual story.

Katie and I were talking last week about how certain church elements pop up in the story. I know that she is going to write more on this subject, I just want to mention that I noticed it too, did anyone else? It stands to reason that this is possible because the author is LDS. Did anyone else notice the author's bio on the back cover? It is cute.

I have looked several times on Barne's and Nobles website for the release date of the sequel to Fablehaven, no release date yet. Although, I did see on Brandon Mull's website that it is supposed to come out in 2007. Here's hoping!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Yes, Seth drove me nuts as well. Kendra was a much nicer sister than I would have been telling him that things weren't his fault. Yes they were!! Of course, there would have been no plot if he hadn't done the stupid things he did, but holy cow - how about a little obedience?