Monday, November 20

1632

Way to lead out, Katie!!!

I also read "most" of 1632...my library didn't have it so I had to read it online. I must say, much much harder to do for me than to have a physical book to read, and I think it tainted my opinion just a bit. For the last chapters, I just wanted to get it over with, though I was thrilled that chapters don't seem so long when scrolling...anyway, I digress.

I agree with you, Katie, that the premise is very interesting--to have these parrallel universes and the "birth" of a new one, sending a slice of our present to a past...and I enjoyed the history revists (as far as I could tell, the real characters were pretty acurately portrayed), but had a hard time getting into the story (sorry Katrina!). I'm cracking up about Katie's comment re: everyone speaking English instead of German or Italian, even Latin or some combination, now that I think of it. That language barrier would have bogged character interaction down, to be sure.

There were way too many characters to keep track of (and all the romances). However, that being said, how refreshing was it that the characters were "everyday" people who had realistic jobs, but just happened to be transported to this new universe? I liked that aspect.

OH! Thanks, Katrina, for adding the bit of trivia about the sequels...I love that some of the sequels (or what-have-you) out there that are fan written. I don't think I would have written one, but I can see how people could get REALLY into it (it was an easy read!). I am finding, however, that I'm not the biggest fan of historical fantasy fiction (I'm in another bookclub and we're reading "Son of Avonar" by Carol Berg, which is interesting, but I don't know that I'm loving it just yet, either).

In any case, I was glad to have had an opportunity to read it...and read it online even. At least it was available!!!! And poor Leven Thumps, the sequel, is having to wait till the library gets it in. :)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!
:) Laurenda

No comments: