Monday, November 20

1632

Sure, I'll be first again. ;-)
I read 1632, at least most of it. The premise was fascinating, and I overlooked a lot of the language to see how the premise would play out. I was talking with a co-worker about the book, and when he found out it was sci-fi, he said "well, everything will be well thought out, not like in a silly romance novel." Meaning, things like the power plant (how to keep power for the town), ammunition, fuel for cars, etc. Which, in fact, they were.
There were a few things that the author kept doing that drove me nuts. He would describe a person, either in action, or just features, etc. and then the next sentence would say "that is to say, Mike" or "that is to say, Doug" or whatever. It was also very hard for me to follow the story/characters when the author kept changing how he referred to them - by first name, then last name, then nickname. There were too many characters for me to keep up with.
I found myself wondering whether in 1632 is was really feasible that so many people would speak English - especially an English that would be understood by present day people (or whether our English would be understood by those people).
And what happened to Mike's sister and her new husband? Everyone was attending their wedding, but I don't remember hearing about them again (at least as far as I read). We saw the groom's father, of course, but where did the groom go?
Again, I really liked the premise - but found that I got bogged down in the historical stories and didn't feel like I got to know the characters very well.

Thanks, Katrina!!

No comments: