Monday, October 16

Leven Thumps - Gateway to Foo

I found several similarities between Leven Thumps and Harry Potter (which may be why I liked it so much):
Young boy, parents having been killed, being raised by relatives that really don't want him.
Said relatives mistreat him.
The young boy has a "mark" of some kind that distinguishes him from others (Harry - scar, Leven - white stripe of hair).
Then, at a given age, this young boy is told he is "special," and has a special destiny different from the world he knows.
I liked the fact that Leven had a hard time coming to grips with his new reality, his "special-ness." I tried to imagine a boy his age (my 16-year-old nephew comes to mind) all of a sudden being told he has magic-ish powers. He wouldn't believe it and he would rebel against it. That brought a certain je ne sais quoi - I mean a certain reality to the book. However, to bring a little religion into it, I imagine another 14-year-old boy who helped bring about a religious revolution. There is a reason change starts with people so young - because they probably have an easier time believing in their destiny - so I'm changing my previous opinion about my nephew. I still liked that initial "who me?"
It was very imaginative - I loved the way they took the car across the Atlantic, and I can't wait for the sequel.

No comments: