Monday, October 16

Leven (not Levin as I've been spelling it) Thumps

Yay! I really liked this book the first time I read it and am glad everyone so far has enjoyed it. I have to say that I suggested it because I wanted to re-read it before I read the sequel (and I had checked it out from the library instead of buying a copy the first time!). You know, ironically, the reason I read the book in the first place is that I saw it advertized in a Deseret Book Catalog I got in the mail, and I was looking for something to read to take my mind off of Harry Potter mania!!! :)

There are so many aspects of the book that I liked or appreciated, so, just to name a few: I love that Geth just lived in faith, believing that Fate would make everything allright or else it wouldn't...like he'd either figure out a way through stuff or it was simply his time to die. The end. That's the way it was. I think I would be in such a better mindframe about my own problems if I could really live like that...trusting the Lord that things would work out, one way or another--and I mean really trusting that. Instead, I start to worry and fret (and the big earth monsters start to stalk me!) lol. Anyway, enjoyed that even as a toothpick, he accepted the way he was and where he was and worked with what he had. Loved it.

I loved Winter and her special abilities of freezing stuff. And I loved Clover and thought the conversations between Leven and Clover were a hoot and a half. I sometimes wish that I, too, had a Void and then I think, oh wait...I do...my purse. lol. (did anyone ever see that episode of "Mad About You" where Helen Hunt's Jamie and her sister switch purses, and by the end of the day Jamie is a disaster and her sister seems totally put together? lololol...ahem). I agree with Katrina that even the sinster characters served a purpose and I'm curious to read more about life in Foo with them there (do we really think Sabine is gone???? all aspects of him?????hmmmm), and I'm thrilled that Leven was reunited with his Grandma. (How many of you realized that it was Grandma who placed Winter in the hospital? I didn't until this reading. Interesting, no?). The one downer of reading was I didn't quite picture the climatic battle scene in my mind as clearly as I would have liked, but it might have been because I was reading it so fast, so engrossed was I in the story.

So, I also loved the dedication...it made sense the second time around...lol. "For those who saw me slip thorugh and held their tongues--your part in this is just beginning." :) (cue foreshadowing here!)

ANYWAY! Enjoyed the book the second time around (which to me is a great sign of a good book) and am going to be heading out to get the sequel sometime this week!!!!!! Yeehaw!

Have a great day, everyone (and can I just say, am loving the emailed blog entries! Wahoo, Miss Katie for "making it work"!).

:) Laurenda

ps. Katie, can I tell you I never made the corrolation between Leven's hair and Harry's scar??? Yegads. lol. Hooray for other book club readers sharing insights. :)

1 comment:

Katie said...

I think we've seen too many movies and read too many books to ever believe that the bad guy is gone - um, hello? can you say Voldemort? I mean, he who must not be named?

Great pic, my friend!