Tuesday, September 12

The Giver

I must say that it wasn't until talking with Amanda (and then reading Laurenda's post) that it even crossed my mind that Jonas and Gabe didn't make it to elsewhere, that they simply died. I just assumed they made it to a warm, loving place. Maybe that's my desire to always see the happy ending.

I did find the world they lived in very interesting and filled with gospel insights. For example, the fact there must be opposition in all things. At night the families talked about their feelings. But, as Jonas found out after becoming the Receiver, how real were these feelings? They didn't know anything different - how could they be happy when they didn't experience unhappiness?

The world they lived in reminded me a lot of the dark planet visited in A Wrinkle in Time where all the boys playing outside bounced the ball in the same rhythm, and the one who didn't was quickly taken back inside for more instruction. All that sameness is never portrayed as a good thing.

What I found interesting is the fact that all these people could be controlled - although it just came to my mind that that's why they had the medication that all adults were to take. Still, it's amazing that all adults would take that medication without question. Those who rebelled were released? I can't even imagine a world without color, music, love, laughter, and this type of world doesn't come without hurt, anger, hatred, etc. Although there are occasions when I wish other people didn't have their agency to choose, I'm really glad we do have that agency.

I'm looking forward to Leven Thumps...

1 comment:

Miss L said...

Love the review! You are a voice of gladness...I'm so glad you thought that they found that warm and loving place. :)

You know, it makes sense that they would be heavily medicated (more so than just for the Stirrings or for pain), because it is weird that so few people "rebelled." Remember how they had that 3 mistakes, even, and they got released? Talk about pressure to conform! Yeesh.

I thought it was interesting that poor Rosemary couldn't handle the pain part of the memories, so much so that she killed herself. Whereas Jonas, even though it was terrible, realized that he needed to stay in order for the Giver to be able to leave and actually helped him by sharing that memory of war. This is truly the blessing of family and friendship who share stories and compassion...that sharing of the burden that helps you get through sadness. Agency is so simple, and yet so complicated. :)

I'm excited for Levin Thumps, too...I think there may even be a slight continuation of theme, kinda.

You're awesome, Miss Katie!