Sunday, September 3

Belated "To Kill a Mockingbird"

Sorry this is so late, but once I really got into the book, I could not NOT finish it. Olivia and I finally have figured out how to nurse so I can read. She's a good baby.

Okay, I just have to say, What a great book. I had never read it, though I have seen and loved the movie. Of course, after I finished it, I had to go and read up on its author! I am amazed that this was her only published book and that she's a recluse, and that she studied law (which was evident in the court scenes)...I could go on. I was just really impressed. No wonder this was awarded prizes and acclaim and has been "forced" reading in high school (though, clearly, not mine! lol).

ANYWAY, I told Katie that I was going to compare the book and the movie: all things considered, the movie was remarkably true to the book! And I have to confess that during my reading, Atticus Finch looked just like Gregory Peck! :) Indeed, my mental characterization of the book was colored by the film version (I even think I read it like a black and white film!), but I felt that they got it spot on. I was amazed at the poetry of the book and was moved by...so much! I was flipping through, trying to find passages that held me and made me stop and think, but I couldn't narrow them down, there were too many. Gosh, I just really liked this book. It was so wise and it was published at such a pivotal time.

I am glad to have read the book, though, because now I know why Jem is called Jem (I don' t think that was ever covered in the movie. lol). This was a great choice for the book club. Thank you!

I'm excited to see what everyone else thought, but I just wanted you to know that I finally got it done and am now forging on to "The Giver" and will hopefully get that one done on time!!!

No comments: