Wednesday, May 31

Peace Like a River

I loved this book. From the very first chapter describing the miracle of Reuben's birth, I was hooked! The book reminded me of Harper Lee's novel To Kill a Mockingbird, the family dynamic especially. The strength and weaknesses of Jeremiah Land reminded me of Atticus Finch, another strong single father. I loved Jeremiah's relationship with God; he could and did show his kids that they could go to the Lord with anything and that faith works miracles. Jeremiah's faith was described by Reuben as legendary and it certainly seemed so. His "healing" of the principal and the way he walked on air while praying on the truck bed are some of my favorites. I also loved how he taught by example, for instance you should always help people regardless of the rewards. I loved it when the traveling salesman came around and Reuben feared for his favorite soup, but it didn't matter because Jeremiah made sure there was plenty of food. And then to top it all off, the annoying salesman left his beloved AirStream to Jeremiah just when they needed it most.

The one thing I didn't really care for was Davy killing the 2 boys in cold blood the way he did. I know it was necessary for the odyssey to begin but I don't agree that justice was served. It wasn't exactly self-defense; Davy knew by attacking them first they would attack back. Davy thought that his justice was the only appropriate justice for the crime of hurting his sister. I don't agree with that and I think that Jeremiah and Reuben struggled with Davy's choice. Although if Davy had not shot them who knows who else would be hurt by the boys (sorry I can't remember their names, I am at work and don't have a copy of the book with me but I wanted to post).

I also loved Swede and her writings, how incredible to have that talent at 9 years old! I loved Sundown and Valdez and how Swede used her characters to show her feelings for Davy. I didn't care for the ending of the story, with Swede and Reuben not being as close as they were as children on this incredible experience. I loved that Roxanne was found just when the family needed her most and it seems almost like Jeremiah knew his kids would need a loving parent as he would not be around for too much longer. This book is definitely one that I will pick up and re-read. Good choice!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I hope I didn't make you rush to post. Nice comments. Good point about the traveling sales man and his Airstream. Goes to show we never know when a good deeed will come back ten fold.