Friday, May 26

Peace Like a River

OK, I'll be first again.

I read this book before Karen selected it for the book club. I found the title intriguing Peace Like a River. In my experiences with rivers (kayaking, white-water rafting, etc.), I have not found rivers to be peaceful. They are in constant motion - one might say turmoil. This is how I found this book. The lives of the characters were in constant motion (and turmoil).

There was one time when the lives of the children were peaceful - with Roxanna (I really liked her). The writing style, especially with Roxanna, was peaceful even if the events being written about weren't (how's that for good sentence structure?)

In the description on the back of the book (my book at least) says this is a story "in which 'what could be unbelievable becomes extraordinary.'" Maybe it's my LDS beliefs, but I found nothing in the book to be unbelievable, although I can see how the world would see that. The miraculous healing of baby Reuben, Reuben and his father meeting in that brief after-death period, etc. All of that seemed like "yeah, of course that could happen." Miracles haven't ceased.

The way the tone of Swede's writing matched the events going on around them was beautiful. Swede, Reuben, dad, etc. could all be calm on the exterior, but we got a peak into how they were feeling (especially Swede) through the Sundown adventures.

Nice pick, Karen. Thanks!!

1 comment:

Miss L said...

I loved Roxanna, too. I appreciated the fact that at first, the kids thought she was pretty plain, but then she "miraculously" transformed into this amazing and beautiful creature who became their rock.

(I have to say, I would have posted immediately after I finished the book, but was embarrassed to post that soon!!! So, maybe next time *I'll* be first. ;) )