Wednesday, March 8

The Red Tent

Hello ladies!!

I know, you have never heard from me, but I thought it would be time chime in and post my review on this most interesting book.

I have to say that I really liked this book. It was fascinating to here another idea of how times were back in the time of Jacob. Although there are many things that were probably put in there for shock factor. (Perhaps from her research regarding that time she felt the need to include some ideas of how she thought the common man behaved.) Knowing that most of these men were not common; Jacob, Joseph and some of the other brothers, I was able to overlook much of the minutiae and stuff that was written about these men that is generally contradicted by modern revelation, etc.

What I found most interesting was the interaction between the woman...albeit fiction. As I was reading and putting myself into the characters positions, I was wondering how I would feel to watch my sister marry a man that I was in love with, and then find myself in that ceremony; how would I feel to be married the same man as my sisters; what it would feel like to be ignored by my brothers or how I would react to my husband being killed by my own family members. I found the interaction between the woman fascinating and intriguing. I loved the idea of collecting and hanging out with the woman and learning from each other. Coming from a family of women, it was an interesting lesson on emotional interations.

When Dinah was a young woman she was shy, unsure of herself and lonely. The only friends she had were her mothers and then Joseph. Her experiences were horrific and tragic...and some that I would never like to have in my life. But, it was those experiences that molded her into a strong self-assured woman that she became. Dinah emerged triumphant. What a heroine, what a woman. As sad as her treatment was, I wanted to stand and cheer for her.

I loved the midwife story line. Midwives are so important in their lives. It seems as though it was all about having children. The midwives were busy. They were so knowledgeable and even to this day are sought after. The birthing techniques may be different on different continents but babies will always be born. Dinah offered a service and helped so many with here talents. She was fortunate to learn this from her "mothers" and it kept her busy her life. There was a time when she was relying on others for her keeping. It allowed her a way to give back, and be a value to others around her.

I am glad that I read this book. It was thought provoking and interesting. Thanks for the choice.

Michelle

1 comment:

Karen said...

I loved the midwife story line as well. It seemed connect all women together as "life givers."