Tuesday, March 7

It's just fiction

I had to keep reminding myself throughout the book that it was just fiction. Although I appreciate the "fleshing out" of the characters, like Laurenda and Amanda, I'm sure that the real characters aren't how they were portrayed in the book. Rebecca was not so indifferent to her family or to Isaac. Joseph did not sleep with Potipher's wife. And so on. I, too, went and read the appropriate chapters in Genesis just in case I was missing something. The one characterization that I preferred in the book to the Bible version is the relationship between Jacob and Leah. I liked the idea that he loved her (even though she wasn't Rachel) rather than the "she was hated" stuff in the Old Testament. However, we still have the problem that the Bible is true as far as it is translated correctly (if I can interject a bit of LDS culture here).

I can't think of the word that best describes what I want to say, but I loved the visual images painted by the author's words; words not describing imagery, but people. Rachel smelled like water and was as strong as the moon. How beautiful and unique is that? Strong as the moon... why not strong as a horse, for example. Beautiful.

The story was supposed to be about the bonds of sisterhood, or so I thought. However, Dinah lost all those with whom she shared such a sisterhood - her mothers, her Egyptian friend, etc. I soon felt that the point of the book was that she was all alone and had to gain the strength to continue on no matter what life gave her. Although, as a midwife, she had opportunities to form relationships with other women, she always seemed alone.

The Red Tent... a place where womanhood is celebrated, shared, and cherished. However, all I could keep thinking was how thankful I am that I don't have to spend a few days a month sitting on hay. Did all women really go to the Red Tent at the same time each month? I know, I'm weird.

I really enjoyed the book. It's just fiction - not a biblical account. Thanks, Carolyn!!

3 comments:

Miss L said...

You know what I think is interesting about the Red Tent itself, was that it was like a guarantee that you would have a few days undisturbed every month, and you didn't have to do "chores" because you were considered unclean whilst menstrating. I HIGHLY doubt that all women went at the same time, though studies have shown that roommates often either cycle together so they are menstrating at the same time, OR, the dominate female menstrates first, followed by others in the apartment/dorm. Isn't that interesting.

As an aside, I remember this from a women's studies class I took back in the day. In Ancient Greece, it was a firm belief that if a man walked in between two menstrating women, he would fall down dead. ha! Can you imagine??? lol. Ahhhhhh, the power prescribed to women out of fear of the ol' menses.

:) Laurenda

Karen said...

I, too, have read that women who live together tend to cycle together . . . something about pheromones. Interesting :)

Karen said...

Katie, I also loved the descriptions you mentioned. Diamant is a wonderful writer.