Monday, October 3

Max Tivoli

I read to page 72 and have a few comments on what I read. The idea of being born old and aging to babyhood is very creative and unique. Except, while I was reading this book, I kept saying to myself, “This would never happen in real life.” I kept wanting the book to be written about something that does happen in real life. Maybe about a very smart person in a crippled body. Everyone thinks he is mentally handicapped, but he really isn’t. A story about his struggles, and a good woman falling in love with him.

I am disappointed in Max’s father. He left them without a note of explanation, or anything. They couldn’t even trace him. They couldn’t get his life insurance reimbursement. Did he commit suicide in the ocean because Max said his footprints literally ran into the water and never showed up anywhere else? Did he leave because of his debts, or because his wife was pregnant? [Please actually reply and answer these questions for me!] He was very weak to do this. I hate putting men into the stereotype of deadbeat dads. The whole first part of the book portrayed him as a strong, good Father who was always there. Him leaving came as a complete surprise to us readers, and to Max.

In the beginning of the book, I was offended by the description of his Mother‘s and Dad’s love scene. Although, I concede it is a lot cleaner compared to other books. Later in the book, I was also offended that Max makes love on a regular basis with Mrs. Levy, when he is really in love with her daughter, Alice. His situation is more vulnerable because to Mrs. Levy he is a 50-year-old-man, and his coming there to meet her meant he knew he was coming for “love.” Also, he thought he was going to meet Alice, and therefore, wasn’t prepared to meet Mrs. Levy’s advances. But, in our religion we are taught to be prepared for these situations and have the strength to avoid them. We follow our morals no matter what. His actions were unacceptable to me, he became weak in my eyes. He was not an interesting or strong Hero to me anymore. Hence, I stopped reading the book. But please, do not take offense! As you will find out, I like the “squeaky clean” books. You will see this by my choice of book when it’s my turn.

-Celia

2 comments:

Karen Buxton said...

Yes Ceila, we do finally find out what happens to Max's father. He started a new life in Alaska, becomes rich, marries and Indian, and then dies. Max inherits his fortune which makes him quite comfortable for the rest of his life. I must say that I was very disapointed in him and his choice to leave his family. In his defense though, he could have been under so much stress that he couldn't see any other way out. Perhaps he was a bit mentally ill, or had a nervous breakdown. I will never understand how someone could walk away from their family, but I have personally known people that could and would. One can never judge though.

Miss L said...

I think Max's willingness to have sex with Mrs. Levy, though "in love" with Alice, is almost symbolic of the confusion Max has about love throughout the entire book, and was yet another layer of "I 'love' this person, but this person 'loves' someone else". Yet another triangle....kinda of like being in the eighth grade all over again.

And how sad that Max was willing to change himself (as we later see in the book) in order to win Alice--and we see, like a cautionary tale, it does not work to be anything but who you are. Maybe this is why Max's father also left....