Tuesday, October 4

Confessions...

Hello ladies!!!

Hooray for Les Liseuses! So excited to be part of the group.

That being stated, let me just say it was a pleasure to read the book and I really really enjoyed it. It was so lyrical and soooooo sad. Bittersweet, perhaps is a better word. No...sad. ANYWAY!!! I thought it was such an interesting exploration of love--or to be honest, the true lack of it.

I think Max was more obsessed than truly in love with Alice, even though he kept saying how much he loved her. Poor Howie knew this as well, as do most of our dear friend when we are involved with the wrong people ("He beats you! He yells at you! You must leave him!" "But I loves him, Roweena!"). Alice was Max's drug of choice and he had to face the consequences of that addiction--for good and ill. And Alice, as we all discovered, was never in love with him. Such a life lesson! And poor Howie! tsk.

I loved the insight into California during the turn of the century. Doesn't it make you wonder what things people will be amazed at when they look back at our era, a hundred years from now?

As I was coming off of my Harry Potter, Book 6 obsession, this was indeed a welcome change. It was easy to read and I really dug the fact there were no traditional chapters. I could read bits of it and put the book down if I needed to, though I would often read later at night than I should have. :)

Enjoyed it alot. :) I'm going to post this now and read what YOU all thought.

:) Laurenda

2 comments:

Katie said...

You crack me up. It was interesting to see the "insight" as you put it, of turn of the century San Francisco. You have had your funny (or NOT so funny) "obsessions" with guys. Me too, I just haven't had the obsession returned - hence more of a problem.

I bought my new books today. I'm so EXCITED!!

Miss L said...

I think you make a good point with mature love verses obsession. True mature love isn't obsessive--it involves loving someone for who they are in the moment, not who they were or will be. AND, letting them go and moving on. So, really, Alice might have loved Max, but she wasn't IN LOVE with him. Howie truly loved Max, though I'm sad that Howie ended it.