Friday, November 2

The Book Thief (Karen Buxton)

I'm finally posting again after a very long break. With our move and
all of the things that are to be done, I haven't had much time to
read, but I did slowly make my way through this book. I really
really liked it. I think that I'd now be pretty good at swearing in
German, but I'll refrain.

I thought Gina's comments about listening to the book on CD were
interesting. I don't think that I would have liked listening to a
creepy guy read to me. I read through the author's comments at the
end of the book, and he mentioned that he kept revising Death's
character and personality so that it wasn't so creepy. It's
interesting that the publishers chose someone with such a voice.

Anyway, I loved learning about what it must have been like living as
a citizen in Nazi Germany. I really enjoyed reading the "Children of
the Promise" series for that same reason. Especially post war era in
East Germany.

Personally, I really liked Rosa. She seemed so gruff and angry, but
stereotypically thoses sorts are soft and loveable on the inside.
Hans, of course, was the ideal father figure. He was kind,
compasionate, with an endless ability to love. I don't believe that
he used Leisle as a replacement for his own children, she needed to
be loved, and he needed to love.

I was heartbroken that Rudy died, but prepared for it. I several
times in the book figured that Max and Leisle would find each other
in the end, but the author was never really said that they married.
That was my assumption considering that she spent the remainder of
her life in Sydney. I was left wanting to know more about her adult
life and marriage.

I've had the opportunity to visit Dachau. As I read, I remembered
the feelings that I felt in that place, and wondered how the the
German people felt as they passed by it while it still held
prisoners. It's a sacred place where many people grew to know there
God through their suffering.

I always post so late, that there really isn't anything that I might
add that hasn't been said already. Thanks for the great book picks.

2 comments:

Katie said...

The Children of the Promise fascinated me as well. For those of you who aren't familiar with the series, it's about a fictional LDS family in SLC spanning from the 1930's through post-WWII. The series starts with the oldest son of this family serving a mission in Germany. He is sent home when the LDS church closes all missions in Germany as the pre-war atmosphere intensifies. He is later enlisted to fight in Germany, which he finds difficult because of his love for the German people. The stories emphasize that not all (non-Jewish) Germans were Nazis, even if they were enlisted in their war. It's important to know of their stories - even if in a fictional representation.

Gina said...

I've been told wonderful things about The Children of the Promise series prior to this. Now I just need to start them! FUN!