Tuesday, October 16

The Book Thief or The Tear Maker?

I finished reading The Book Thief on the airplane the day that our co-worker Curtis Cloud died. I couldn't help but wonder if the narrator "Death" was there with Curtis and what color the sky was. And at the thought of this, combined with the fictional deaths of Rudy, Mama and Papa, I had the tears flowing and no kleenex in sight. I had to use the cocktail napkin from my drink to sop up the tears and mascara.
How long did it take anyone else to know who the narrator was? I had to re-read the first 2 short chapters again just to get that understanding but from there I throughly enjoyed the short style of the chapters and the oftentimes humorous but telling asterisk marked statements from Death. I was also struck by the thought that we don't often hear the side from the Germans in Nazi Germany during this time. Most of us have read Anne Frank and other stories that show us the Jewish or outcast viewpoint. I am again amazed at how the power of persuasion and fear can make humans forget their innate goodness and commit attrocities in the name of righteousness.
Liesel had a horrible life and I can imagine that her story happened to many people including those that belonged to the Nazi Party. I was struck by Frau Hoptzanful (sp?) and that for all of her heil Hitlers, she lost her 2 sons and her own life. It didn't matter what side she was on, Death takes no sides in war.
Argh, I didn't mean this to be a diatribe about War and the horror of it. I loved this book and I found many parts that were funny and heartwarming. Such as Rudy's love of Jesse Owens and how he ran painted in coal just to be like him. I loved the interactions between Liesel and Rudy, Liesel and Papa, Liesel and Mama, pretty much any interaction with Liesel. Who else wanted to know more about what happened to Liesel after the pivotal moment of the airraid? We got a lot of before the bombs but not a lot of the after. I want to know how Liesel went from the Mayor's house to apparently working for Mr. Steiner and then her relationship with Max. Did she marry Max? Who else thought she should marry Max?
Again, I love this book and I learned a lot about this time period but in a very human and contextual way, not in the history book sort of way.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I wondered if she had married Max or not. It went from their reunion in Herr Steiner's shop, to her death several years later (was she in Australia?). Since she couldn't be with Rudy (my first choice, but Death got in the way), I think Max would have been perfect.

D said...

Yeah- I agree. Death did say that she married and had children and grandchildren but I was sad that we missed those happy times in her life. She and Max went through so much together and understood each other so well. He was enough older than her that I'm not sure if it happened or not...

I felt for the Soldiers like Walter(Max's friend who saved his life) who were conscripted into an army to do terrible things. I was thankful that Hans was put on the duty that he was when he was drafted. Even though it was terrible and dangerous to see and do what he was doing- he was saving lives instead of destroying them. He would have been fine fighting like a soldier too- like those in Russia, a semi-fair fight. But if he had been put in charge of the torment of the Jews in any way it would have destroyed him body and soul. I was glad that he was given a job that was in keeping with who he was- a job that made him try to keep the country together and save those who he could.

Gina said...

It didn't occur to me that Max and Leisel would end up together. I guess I pictured Max as Hans' age.