Wednesday, August 9

To Kill a Mockingbird

How I love this book. I can't believe I have never read it before. Of course, I've seen the movie (Gregory Peck IS Atticus Finch), but the book was truly a delight.

I agree with Katrina, "Pictures were drawn by the words the author provided." I could actually see the town, the courthouse, the school, etc. I kept thinking to myself that I wanted to go back in time and LIVE in this town. However, each time I thought that, I would remember the bigotry and prejudices of the time and change my mind.

Harper Lee is amazing, and how unfortunate that she never wrote another book. She's very talented in the way she can, this is hard to describe... she can tell a story without writing the story. How to explain, there were many places in the book where Scout narrated one thing, but the reader knew something else was going on. I loved that - a very effective storytelling method.

This ranks right up there with my favorite books of all time - A Wrinkle in Time, The Chronicles of Narnia, etc. Thanks, Amanda!!

1 comment:

Miss L said...

Katie,

How great that you discerned how "...Scout narrated one thing but the reader knew something else was going on". I didn't catch that, but looking back on it, I'm thinking, you are totally right!

I'm so glad I finished the book!!!! Thanks for your good patience, my friend.

Safe travels!

:) Laurenda