Wednesday, April 26

the Good Earth

I realize this is a last-minute post and I don't have time to do it justice, but wanted you to know I read and enjoyed the book. I guess I was being optimistic, though, in that I thought something dramatic would happen to change Wang so that he would show love to O-lan before she died. I had hoped that at least she would get the pearls back. That really bothered me. Over-all, a thought provoking book that made me extremely grateful to live now in this country( especially with my size 10 feet- ha, ha). Seriously, I can't imagine regarding a daughter as any less than a son. That's so sad. My brother-in-law lives in China( He's been there about two years and plans on about five more to go through medical school). I will have to ask him what it's like now. I know in some ways it has changed a lot, but I would guess that in other ways it is much the same. Anyway, this isn't much of a post, but thanks for the book selection. I can't wait to read the next one.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm glad you posted, Lori. While reading the book, I too was glad to live when and where I do. Although there are still biases against women, at least we are not considered (by most) to just be a slave.