Monday, September 26

The Confessions of Max Tivoli

What an intriguing idea. The whole story was very thought provoking. I spent time considering how dependent we are upon the idea of time and the way that we progress through it. We have limited control over how our lives are played out, so we find comfort in at least knowing that we will progress from childhood into old age. That's not to say that we are comfortable with growing old, but at least we have an idea of what to expect.

I had to question whether or not it was fair that his mother required him to act the part of an adult while he was yet a child. I realize that it was for his protection as well as hers, but when he wanted to be a child he was not allowed, and when he was an adult he was forced to act the part of a child. What a confused individual such a creed would produce.

Then there was the bizarre love triangle. It was...Well, bizarre. Was there anyone in the story that had any lasting happiness? I sure hope that when I approach the end of my life that I don't look back and only see shattered dreams, missed opportunities and unfulfilled expectations. What a bummer. Perhaps that outlook comes from living in a rainy place like San Francisco.

I really didn't find the book to be all dismal, but it wasn't overwhelmingly uplifting either. There was enough humor in it to keep it from being too heavy. It was a good read.

There is much more to be said, but I'll cut it short.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Hey,

Way to be the first.
Knowing you, there is no way you will look back on a life full of shattered dreams. Look at all you've done for me, awesome lady!

It's always a wonder to me the demands I see some parents put on their children - you MUST get straight A's, you MUST go to such-and-such college, you MUST play this sport, etc. How different might his life have been if his father had stayed, loved him, and if mother and father just loved and accepted Max.

Thought provoking!!

Miss L said...

I love that in your review you say, "at least we have an idea of what to expect" as we age. This is so true. It got me thinking that poor Max only had a few examples of what he had to expect, and they weren't that happy. He had no one to guide him through or even to provide a constant support for him. His "constant" is his love/obsession for Alice. I know I draw strength when I am able to share experiences or ideas with others and they are able to empathize with me--whether it's aging, motherhood, or other women's issues. :) Max had no one to empathize with him, except Howie and the Madame (Mary, I think?).

Wouldn't it have been interesting if his sister had also been able to play a role in his life. If he could have gone home, kept up his family relations instead of becoming and insisting he was someone other than Max. If I remember right, the author mentions a bit of the loss, but it's not overt to Max the consequences of severing all his family ties.

Good review.

:) Laurenda